PDA

View Full Version : Help Yourself!

Fishmanpa
20-12-13, 01:45
I saw this post on the Panic/Panic attack forum and thought I would post the link here,

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=140300

There is a FREE download of a CBT course for NMP members that many here have tried and used successfully. I've personally recommended it and posted the link dozens of times in the hopes the OP would use it.

I personally downloaded it myself to see what it's all about and hope it can help me in my day to day struggles with cancer recovery and the issues that I have concerning it. I believe it will help me in many ways and especially with the "scanxiety" I deal with come check up time.

What blew my mind is that over 16,000 viewed the page and only 500 actually downloaded the course! I find that hard to believe but the stats don't lie.

Why, if you had a way to help yourself overcome the prison that is HA, would you not take advantage of a key to get out?

The road to healing starts with one step. Click on the link, download the program. Start there. Then take the time to read it. The next time you feel like consulting Dr. Google or posting about a niggle you're sure is a deadly disease, read a chapter. What do you have to lose?

Positive thoughts!

kahi35
20-12-13, 01:55
Hi just got out of my CBT apt hope her theory works. I have health anxiety too and hung up on my blood pressure being high at appts. she told me to take it everyday to get use to to it. but it makes me more anxious taking it.

Fishmanpa
20-12-13, 02:06
Exposure therapy is a very effective means of treating anxiety and learning to face your fears. It can teach your brain to stop sending the flight/dear response when your perceive what you feel is danger. It's a well known and practiced method. Trust your therapist and work on it. It's not like a pain killer that works almost immediately, you'll have to work at it. Remember, anything worth while having takes work and dedication.

It's awesome that you're taking CBT! Keep up the good work!

Positive thoughts!

kahi35
20-12-13, 02:09
Thanks Ill do that.

Fishmanpa
20-12-13, 12:38
BUMP!

Read this statement again and answer the question. I'd really like to know why, if this is FREE, you wouldn't at least try!

"What blew my mind is that over 16,000 viewed the page and only 500 actually downloaded the course! I find that hard to believe but the stats don't lie.

Why, if you had a way to help yourself overcome the prison that is HA, would you not take advantage of a key to get out?"

Positive thoughts

catk
20-12-13, 12:48
Hi
This is my first post I downloaded the CBT handbook and have worked hard on it, I could not recommend it more I found it really good, but like everything in life you have to work at it.
Happy Christmas everyone, and if you can go for a walk in a forest and smell the pine on the trees, use your senses to take in all that is good around you:).
cathk

katesa
20-12-13, 13:39
BUMP!

Read this statement again and answer the question. I'd really like to know why, if this is FREE, you wouldn't at least try!

"What blew my mind is that over 16,000 viewed the page and only 500 actually downloaded the course! I find that hard to believe but the stats don't lie.

Why, if you had a way to help yourself overcome the prison that is HA, would you not take advantage of a key to get out?"

Positive thoughts

A very interesting question. I can guess but I think it would offend people so I hope somebody can answer because I'd genuinely be interested.

---------- Post added at 13:39 ---------- Previous post was at 13:38 ----------

Hi
This is my first post I downloaded the CBT handbook and have worked hard on it, I could not recommend it more I found it really good, but like everything in life you have to work at it.
Happy Christmas everyone, and if you can go for a walk in a forest and smell the pine on the trees, use your senses to take in all that is good around you:).
cathk

Way to go darlin and welcome to the board!

Fishmanpa
20-12-13, 14:30
A very interesting question. I can guess but I think it would offend people so I hope somebody can answer because I'd genuinely be interested.

I don't know if offend is the right word but I bet many will feel very defensive because of it as it will make them look inside themselves and some may not like what they see :(

There are many, many reasons why... Here are a few that come to my mind...

Because... and this may sting a bit...

1. Denial. It's more plausible for a HA sufferer to believe they have a serious illness they Google than to believe it's their mind is causing the issue. "It can't be anxiety!... I know it's cancer! Dr. Google said so!" This, even though they're posting on an anxiety forum!

2. Comfort. I've seen it said, "I worry if I'm not worrying"... crazy but true. The HA sufferer is almost co-dependent on their illness. It's become so much a part of who and what they are, they wouldn't know how to be without it.

3. LAZY! Big one here... They'd rather take the time and complain than take the time to help themselves.

Like I said, there are a myriad of reasons why but with few exceptions it comes down to a choice in my opinion. Will you ever be totally cured? probably not. I'll never be totally cured of heart disease or cancer. I'm "healed" but not "cured", but it's a hell of a lot better than the alternative! If treating your illness would make you even half as better as you are now, would it be worth it?

Positive thoughts

Annie0904
20-12-13, 14:54
This time last year I could hardly leave the house and was suffering from intense anxiety 24/7. I downloaded CBT4Panic and it has been a lifesaver for me...yes it took a lot of work on my part but the result of this is that I am now working again, I have been abroad on holiday twice this year and feeling much happier with life. I am not saying I am cured of anxiety...it still keeps creeping back but the difference is that I am now better prepared to cope with it :)

HoneyLove
20-12-13, 15:57
Great post Fishman, and an interesting question.

There's also something I'd like to point out here that may give you a clue as to why people tend to be slow to help themselves.

When you're in an extremely anxious or depressed state you often find yourself frozen and unable to do very much. You know that there are things you can do to help yourself feel better, but the anxiety keeps you in this stuck place that it's hard to move out of.

It's difficult to explain, but I've been there myself and struggled against it, and I've seen many people on these boards in a similar place. I don't know why this happens, but I imagine it has a lot to do with stress hormones.

It's why being too firm with anxiety sufferers often doesn't work well, because they'll just end up feeling worse about themselves and their lack of ability to *move*.

It's not an excuse of course, but it can take some coaxing to get someone out of that state. The denial, comfort and laziness points are all valid too. It's a matter of helping someone out of these states and into a more logical frame of mind. Not always easy, a lot of people aren't willing to help themselves and want a magic pill to take it all away.

Fishmanpa
20-12-13, 16:38
Thanks HLove for the insight. Having suffered with some depression and currently dealing with some now, I have some idea of what you're saying, but I was never that severe. I know saying "snap out of it" often times doesn't work or help. I was fortunate in that I recognized there was a problem and hated the way I felt/feel so I did something about it. I can only imagine taking how I felt and multiplying it X 10 and that's what you're describing.

I've been reading the CBT program I downloaded and besides the fright and flight response, there is also a freeze response to a fear stimuli and I believe that's what you're referring to. Someone can be so scared or so down that they cannot move. We see it in movies and TV shows etc. How many times have you been creeping through the dark, hear a noise and freeze? I have ;) My ex suffered from SDD and I dated a couple of gals that suffered from depression and there were times they couldn't even get it together to go out.

Part of what I'm asking is why is it so easy to post here and not do something for yourself? I know the anonymity of the forum has something to do with it but there has to be more to it.

Thanks again for the insight. This subject is of great interest to me and I'm learning a lot. It's helping me as well believe it or not :)

Positive thoughts

Annie0904
20-12-13, 17:21
Maybe some of it is the fear of the 'unknown' or is it just something else that isn't going to work? I tried other programmes and they did not work for me but CBT4Panic did.

Fishmanpa
21-12-13, 01:32
BUMP