PDA

View Full Version : Am I close to getting a Seizure?

JustBenn
20-12-13, 13:41
Hi everyone,
I'm 20 years old,

Last night was a terrible night for me, When I was sleeping lightly, I kept seeing flashing things, fast moving pictures and check patterns,
Its so annoying!

When it is happening, I feel like if i have my eyes closed long enough during it, it will happen, so I have to open my eyes just before I think the seizure might happen,
then it goes away, I'm terrified to sleep through it!

Just before I think it will happen, there is a rush of fear in my head, I start to sweat!

I hope you can help me with this, I'm very frightened that I may be developing photosensitive epilepsy!

katesa
20-12-13, 13:46
Before I give advice, have you seen a doctor about this before?

JustBenn
20-12-13, 13:50
Before I give advice, have you seen a doctor about this before?

Hi,

Not about this post, because it happen last night for the first time in a while

But I did for the fear of epilepsy, he just reassured me, and told me to come back when I have an actual seizure!

Please do help, I really need it :)

katesa
20-12-13, 14:00
Well hon, I'm not a doctor and I always tell people to discuss new symptoms with their doctor.

However, if I am understanding you right, you have had something like this before but just hadn't had it for a while?

If that's the case then to be honest what you describe sounds similar to what happens with me when I am almost asleep or even a dream. The mind is just processing things.

And again, no medical expert but I am pretty sure that you can't avert an epileptic seizure by opening your eyes so if opening your eyes stops it, it's not that.

Watch someone come and show me I'm wrong now lol

JustBenn
20-12-13, 14:10
Well hon, I'm not a doctor and I always tell people to discuss new symptoms with their doctor.

However, if I am understanding you right, you have had something like this before but just hadn't had it for a while?

If that's the case then to be honest what you describe sounds similar to what happens with me when I am almost asleep or even a dream. The mind is just processing things.

And again, no medical expert but I am pretty sure that you can't avert an epileptic seizure by opening your eyes so if opening your eyes stops it, it's not that.

Watch someone come and show me I'm wrong now lol

For this part, so if a seizure was going to happen, its gonna happen not matter? Reasures me a teeny bit! :)

but what do you think will happen if I left my eyes closed and concentrated on it?

cpe1978
20-12-13, 14:12
Like Kate I am no Dr, but I do know the mind can do funny things when asleep!

For example, I was staying in a hotel once and got up in the night to go to the toilet. Was still half asleep and instead of going into the bathroom went out of my hotel room into the corridor and tried to get into a cupboard. I only woke up when I realised I was in my pants in a hotel corridor!

The worst thing was that my wife asked where I was going and accepted my explanation of going to the toilet!

Moral of the story - our mind goes crazy when we are asleep, that and if you own a hotel make sure you keep cupboards locked in the corridors, oh and make sure you sleep in more than pants when not in your own house!

:)

Althea
20-12-13, 15:29
I hope you can help me with this, I'm very frightened that I may be developing photosensitive epilepsy!

"Photosensitive" means it happens in response to light (usually light in certain patterns). You're talking about an experience you're having in a dark room with your eyes closed. That's about as far from photosensitive as you can be.

In addition to what others have noted about things like this happening when you're dropping off to sleep, I'll note that some medications have a benign effect like this--I get it from Benadryl, for instance--so if you started taking anything new, including non-prescription, it might just be a factor as well.

HoneyLove
20-12-13, 15:48
In addition to what others have noted about things like this happening when you're dropping off to sleep, I'll note that some medications have a benign effect like this--I get it from Benadryl, for instance--so if you started taking anything new, including non-prescription, it might just be a factor as well.

Good points Althea! This also happens to me when I have too much of a stimulant like caffeine or sugar or other junk foods, when I've been watching TV or looking at my ipad/phone for too long before bedtime or when I've eaten too much before going to sleep.

So many things, including stress, can affect you this way - have a look at the rational explanations rather than jumping to the worst possible conclusion first.

Fishmanpa
20-12-13, 16:12
For example, I was staying in a hotel once and got up in the night to go to the toilet. Was still half asleep and instead of going into the bathroom went out of my hotel room into the corridor and tried to get into a cupboard. I only woke up when I realised I was in my pants in a hotel corridor!

Ha! I had insomnia during my treatment and they gave me Ambien. I woke up naked on the bathroom floor with my girlfriend standing there looking at me with a funny look on her face, my clothes strewn about the room ~lol~ I had absolutely no recollection of anything. Needless to say, I haven't taken it since!

You've gotten some very rational explanations for an event that no doubt scared you. We're not doctors but it certainly doesn't sound sinister. Are you doing anything to help treat your anxiety?

Positive thoughts

JustBenn
20-12-13, 16:35
Just wondering, what do you think could have happen if I left my eyes closed?

---------- Post added at 16:35 ---------- Previous post was at 16:34 ----------

Ha! I had insomnia during my treatment and they gave me Ambien. I woke up naked on the bathroom floor with my girlfriend standing there looking at me with a funny look on her face, my clothes strewn about the room ~lol~ I had absolutely no recollection of anything. Needless to say, I haven't taken it since!

You've gotten some very rational explanations for an event that no doubt scared you. We're not doctors but it certainly doesn't sound sinister. Are you doing anything to help treat your anxiety?

Positive thoughts

Docs said, I don't need any meds, its just a fear that will come and go, its not an everyday thing, jut happens once in a while

cpe1978
20-12-13, 16:36
Honestly???

In all likelihood absolutely nothing at all :)

JustBenn
20-12-13, 17:04
Honestly???

In all likelihood absolutely nothing at all :)

Thanks,

I thought something was going to happen because I started sweating and my paulse in my head was beating!

:)