PDA

View Full Version : Cbt and anxiety

geronimo
20-12-13, 14:09
Hi I have just started cbt and I hope it will help me only after both sessions I've had a few hours later I've been having bad anxiety attacks like feeling dizzy and foggy and urinating a lot I spoke to my Gp about this and she said it's quite common for feeling like this at the beginning of this therapy I've learned a lot since going to cbt so I won't give up has anyone else experienced this problem with counselling?

Annie0904
20-12-13, 14:57
Counselling can be difficult as it brings lot of problems to the surface but it is worth it in the end. :hugs:

MrAndy
20-12-13, 14:58
Hi Geronimo
when you bring your problems to the surface with therapy or counselling it can have this effect,it did with me on more than one occasion .
Its perfectly normal so stick at it.

geronimo
20-12-13, 15:28
Thanks guys I will persevere with it I suppose dragging up your demons to someone will effect you in some way

Annie0904
20-12-13, 15:40
It does but better to drag them out than leave them lurking around :D

geronimo
20-12-13, 16:16
Very true Annie :)

Tim89
20-12-13, 16:50
Hey Geronimo. I started CBT today for anxiety. It's a bit early to say much about it other than that talking about my problems face to face was very difficult and made me feel all kinds of symptoms. as the nurse said to me CBT is an evidence based treatment so I guess there's really good reason to stick with it and give it a chance even if it feels difficult. good luck with it.

geronimo
21-12-13, 08:57
Cheers tim I'm going to stick with waited ages on the nhs for it so no way will I give it up

Tanner40
21-12-13, 14:11
Geronimo, all perfectly normal when you're dredging up things that bother you. The important thing is to practice the tools that you learn in CBT on a daily basis. Hang in there.

geronimo
21-12-13, 14:30
Thanks tanner :)

Edie
21-12-13, 16:47
This is very common. You have to talk about difficult things before you can learn the coping skills to deal with them. It's great you've learned a lot after only 2 sessions, you're right to carry on - I think once you get through this difficult stage at the beginning you will find things start to improve.