PDA

View Full Version : Woke up in the middle of the night with very strong head pain

anxious_thoughts
20-12-13, 16:18
So worried :(
I'm unable to sleep on my sides so I have to sleep almost sitting up on my back but I guess last night I must have ended up on my side while I was asleep. I woke up and found myself on my left side. The area by my left temple and the spot on my head, you know when you chew and you feel that area on your head moving because of the motion of your mouth? That spot was in so much pain, after laying upwards it finally stopped but I tried moving my head to the side again and I got that pain instantly.

So scary...I'm just so worried it's a brain tumour, I've been unable to sleep on my sides for about 3-4 years now

HoneyLove
20-12-13, 16:24
Jenn that's classic TMJ pain! You're probably clenching your teeth in your sleep. I can't lie on the side of my head either when my TMJ is flaring up.

Are you ever going to get some help with the TMJ? Honestly, it would help you enormously!

anxious_thoughts
20-12-13, 16:28
Would even just tilting your head to the left and right side cause pain when having tmj? Cause it doesn't matter what day it is, the time, morning or night, not matter what if I tilt my head on the side and leave it for a couple seconds I will get head pains.

I've tried using my mouth guard the last few nights but it seems almost impossible as it's so uncomfortable!

HoneyLove
20-12-13, 16:31
TMJ is muscle pain, it causes problems in the muscles of your face, head, neck, shoulders and back.

Think about the stress all these muscles are under? Isn't it logical that you'll get pain holding your head in positions that cause even more tension?

Stress and anxiety make TMJ much worse, if you want to start feeling better you really need to start treating the TMJ and the HA together, rather than worrying about a tumour which you've been told you definitely don't have.

anxious_thoughts
20-12-13, 16:42
I'm just hoping that's all it is. There has been no MRI done so it's not even 100%, either way I don't think I'd be able to get one because I'm so claustrophobic.

I will continue with the jaw exercises as well as try to use my mouth guard. Thanks for the advice.

katesa
20-12-13, 16:43
Jenn hon,

Please don't think I am being rude but muscular pain will always hurt more when said muscles are being moved/stretched That is one of the ways doctors decide whether a pain is muscular or not.

Stop monitoring everything, do the CBT, have a mince pie and a glass of sherry (if you're not on meds) and chiiiiiiiiil x

anxious_thoughts
20-12-13, 22:36
I don't think you're being rude at all Kate!

You really think it all could be muscular? Of course you know I think it's related to a brain tumour because it says headaches worsen with movement, and that's me. :( really hope that's all it is.

I signed up for the CBT :)

Tanner40
20-12-13, 22:42
Hey Jenn! It is definitely something muscular like TMJ. Getting some help for the TMJ will probably do wonders for you. With that said, it's time to move on and stop worrying about the brain tumor. It is not a brain tumor. It is anxiety. The more you focus on it, the worse that it will get. As Kate said, what about the CBT?

What are you doing for yourself every day to ease your anxiety. I found that I had to take back control of my life and put myself back in charge. I can't control physical symptoms but I can sure try to control my reactions to them.

anxious_thoughts
21-12-13, 21:32
Hello Tanner, thanks for the reassurance :)
During the summer I had CBT but with my school schedule/work I had to stop because their hours weren't too good and neither were mine. I found it did help a little. If I didn't have daily symptoms I wouldn't worry, but it seems like I get them everyday! :(

Just today my legs and arms feel week although I haven't been anxious. Wish my anxiety was easier to ease.

Fishmanpa
21-12-13, 21:37
Jenn,

Check out this link http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=140300

It's a FREE download for a self help CBT course. I actually downloaded it and find it helpful for me and my situation. Being that you have scheduling issues going on, this can definitely help. Definitely worth a look.

Positive thoughts