PDA

View Full Version : citalopram to sertraline feel horrible!

adellevenn
20-12-13, 22:28
Hi everyone,

I have been on citalopram for four years which made me feel me again. However, after difficulty with my teacher training my panic and anxiety came on strong. I went to the doctors and because I was on the full dose of citalopram I was switched to sertraline.
I was told to take 1 cit and 1 50mg sert for 1 week and then two sert after, so 100 mg in total. The doc told me that switching was easy and I wouldnt feel a thing.
I started to pick up for about 2 weeks, then bang! My anxiety has been horrible since. I have never been suicidal due to the GAD but have been over the last few weeks. My appatite is completely shot and I normally enjoy food and a good diet.
I went back and doc increased to 150mg and I remained the same. I have been back to the docs since and saw a different doc who said I had gone too high on sertraline and that might be why my anxiety is so bad. But then went crawling back the next day because I couldnt cope and saw again a different doc who said to stay on the 150 mg. It is now week 5 and I feel awful. Will this get better? Has anyone had experience of this? Should I cut my losses and go back on citalopram? I appreciate any views.

David Don
20-12-13, 23:02
I sympathise that your medication has not yet provided you with the relieve you need. It does usually take a while for the medication to take effect. I don't know how long it is in the case of sertraline or what your doctor may have advised.

I noticed you already was going through a particularly difficult time with your teacher training. So the underlying anxiety coupled with possible withdrawal symptoms from stoping citalopram and starting a new regime is quite a bit to deal with. The doc saying it will be easy may have underestimated your own physiology and particular situation.

You can discuss changing medication with your doctors. Be confident to discuss your symptoms and thoughts.

I think along with the medication you can also try to use other coping strategies to relieve your anxiety at the present. Can you find ways to relieve the stress you are experiencing because of your studies. Can you improve simple things like time management etc, or asking for help with other things you may be struggling with. I don't presume to know your situation or things you may be doing already so forgive me if I come across presumptuous.

Most importantly is an exercise regime. Whatever you can commit to. It will help with your appetite and sleep. You will start to notice an improvement from day 2-3. Also you can use some cognitive behavioural therapy techniques to reduce your anxiety.

All the best in the near future.