PDA

View Full Version : Please help

joanne30
21-12-13, 00:00
I'm not going to be able to get my medication over Christmas, and I've read that the withdrawal symptoms are bad to say the least. I don't want to have withdrawal symptons over Christmas.

nomorepanic
21-12-13, 00:05
Why can't you get it?

You need to call the doctor and get some as withdrawal could be bad and dangerous

How has this happened

What medication?

nomorepanic
21-12-13, 00:41
I thought it was an urgent problem so I replied but you posted and went offline so I guess not :shrug:

joanne30
21-12-13, 01:05
Sorry Nicola about not replying to your post. I was prescribed pregabalin four months ago, then my local nhs trust decided to change it to lyrica last week because it's supposed to be better. I have it in liquid form due to a choking phobia. It has to be specially ordered by my pharmacist. I think it might be quite expensive because of this. The reason I was worried about not having my medication over Christmas is when I tried to pour the lyrica on to a spoon it was like water and I couldn't get the right amount on the spoon. Then my anxiety kicked in and I decided I wasn't going to take it Then I decided I was being silly because I would have bad withdrawal symptoms over Christmas. So I used a measuring tub that is provided with another oral medication I take and drank the lyrica through a straw. I guess their is a solution to every problem.

Sorry Nicola again:hugs:

nomorepanic
21-12-13, 01:16
No need to apologise Joanne - I just thought it was urgent so replied asap.

So can you get some more?

hanshan
21-12-13, 01:31
Hi Joanne,

Sorry to hear about your problems.

Lyrica and pregabalin are identical medications - Lyrica is the brand name and pregabalin is the generic name. There is only one manufacturer at present, Pfizer, which holds the patent until around 2018.

The liquid form contains the same pregabalin / Lyrica as the capsules - only it is easier to take for people who have difficulty with capsules. It shouldn't be any more expensive because it is a liquid.

If you measure it out in your measuring cup and drink it through a straw, you should be fine. There shouldn't be any problem if you need to mix it with a little water, either.

Always make sure to have supplies of medications before holidays / vacations, but if you get caught out, there should be an emergency doctor service and emergency pharmacy service available.

Good luck over Christmas.