PDA

View Full Version : Want to withdrawal

joanne30
21-12-13, 14:59
Do you think it would be ok for me to slowly withdrawal from pregabalin? I know I should see my psych first, but I really want to go back on seroxat. I am getting tooth pain and I'm sure it's the pregabalin. I did stop taking seroxat without tapering, and I didn't have any major side effects. Is it worse coming off pregabalin than it is seroxat. I do tend to miss doses of pregabalin at the moment, and I'm ok, apart from break through anxiety.

hanshan
21-12-13, 16:03
Hi Joanne,

Don't make any major change until you see your doctor, which will probably be after Christmas.

This is a time which is stressful for many people. I don't know if it is for you, but try to relax.

Pregabalin is not related to tooth pain as far as I know - I would be looking first at either a dental problem or anxiety, not pregabalin.

joanne30
21-12-13, 16:14
Thank you Hanshan, I think I'm being too obsessive about about pregabalin and tooth pain. I think I might be clenching my jaw because I am so anxious about it. All my teeth and mouth is aching. I will think about withdrawing from pregabalin in the new year. Christmas is stressful enough!!!

SarahH
21-12-13, 16:55
Joanne,

I think it may be POSSIBLE that this is due to teeth clenching in the night which I believe is a listed (though obscure) side effect. I sometimes get this and my teeth ache all day, but that is anxiety NOT prgabalin. I agree with Hanshan, do not change anything yet....it is too soon.

sarah

joanne30
21-12-13, 17:15
Thank you Sarah. I think this is the reason for my tooth pain. I think I'll have to stop reading the forums about tooth problems with pregabalin. I was really happy with the progress I've made while on pregabalin. Is the condition you're thinking of called tmj? I think that causes jaw clenching. Maybe if if I stop thinking about my tooth pain it might go away, otherwise I'll be dreaming about my teeth falling out, I don't want that. Your posts about your progress with pregabalin have really helped me Sarah, you're so positive. Thank you.

SarahH
21-12-13, 18:21
I really think you could be clenching your teeth at night....I have no idea if it's a specific condition I just know that when we are anxious it is something that can happen. I do it myself on and off and my teeth hurt for days afterwards. I dont know how long you have been on pregabalin for but give it a good few weeks to work. You may be over worrying about the teeth thing a little................which is VERY common when you have anxiety............................try some Mindfulness x

teej
21-12-13, 19:56
Completely out the blue here (hi everyone!) but I started on citalopram a couple of months back and I clench my jaw and grind my teeth something awful since I've been on it. I know pregabalin and cit have completely different methods of action but I do wonder if it's the suppression / treatment of emotions which causes it (total guess).

If I catch myself doing it I just try and relax my jaw and do some relaxation exercises or listen to some relaxing music whilst trying to relax. Otherwise my teeth hurt like crazy if I keep it up. It goes off after bit.

joanne30
22-12-13, 00:21
Can you still clench your teeth if you sleep with your mouth open? If so, this could be the reason why I get tooth pain. I was extremely anxious yesterday. I'm a bit better tonight, but my teeth are still aching slightly.

hanshan
22-12-13, 09:26
Hello Joanne,

TMJ is the temporomandibular joint, the joint at the back of your mouth on both sides where the lower jaw is connected to the upper jaw.

TJMD or TMD is temporomandibular joint dysfunction or disorder. It can be associated with both grinding or clenching of teeth and facial or tooth pain.

I'm not an expert in this area. If you think this may be your problem, you really need to talk to a doctor who is knowledgeable about this condition.

Facial pain can be distressing. An analgesic may help, plus as much relaxation as possible.

(Also, if you sleep with your mouth open in winter in an unheated room, the cold air may cause pain).

Take care over Christmas.

joanne30
27-12-13, 23:55
Do you think I'll have bad withdrawal symptoms from coming off pregabalin? I've been on it for about four months. Do you think going back on seroxat will help with the withdrawal symptoms?

Mark13
28-12-13, 00:47
Do you think I'll have bad withdrawal symptoms from coming off pregabalin? I've been on it for about four months. Do you think going back on seroxat will help with the withdrawal symptoms?

I stopped pregabalin over 4 days, going from 600mg to 0 in that time, with few, if any, withdrawal symptoms.

HOWEVER - I was on mirtazapine 15mg and went straight from the pregabalin to duloxetine.

I came off duloxetine, cold turkey (not recommended) - my GP knew this - again, I feel the mirtazapine protected me from the worst of the withdrawal. I got brain zaps for weeks, but these were lessened by taking large doses of Omega 3. Worked for me.

All I'm saying is, from my experience, another AD can help lessen withdrawal. Pregabalin isn't an AD, so there's no major withdrawal syndrome associated with it AFAIK, but always best to err on the side of caution and reduce intake gradually and see how you react.

joanne30
28-12-13, 01:01
Thanks mark. I went cold turkey off seroxat, I would go days or weeks not taking it, then stopped altogether without tapering the doseage. I definitely wouldn't go cold turkey off any meds now. I'm just very anxious about withdrawing from pregabalin after all the bad experiences other people have had withdrawing from it, but I'd rather do it now when I haven't been on it for long. I'll have to talk to my gp or psychiatrist first to get their advice. I don't know if I can go back on seroxat, or if pregabalin is better for my anxiety.

hanshan
28-12-13, 03:58
You need to discuss all this with your doctor. In particular, why did you stop Seroxat in the first place? Were you getting side effects or felt it wasn't working? If so, that may be the same the second time around.

It's not necessary to stop pregabalin if you start an SSRI. That is, you can keep taking both, and the combination may be better than either medication alone.

I'm a believer that psychoactive drugs should be discontinued slowly as a general rule, although some people can discontinue quickly without ill effects.

Good luck.

joanne30
28-12-13, 15:19
This is going to sound silly, but the reason I stopped taking seroxat, was that I was taking it in liquid form and I didn't like the taste of it. I had liquid seroxat because I can't swallow tablets. I realise now that you can't stop taking medication, because you go into withdrawal. I can't remember what I was like when I was taking seroxt because I never took it continuously. I guess I never gave it a chance.

joanne30
28-12-13, 21:33
The other reason I want to come off pregabalin is because I have liquid lyrica and it comes with a syringe, and I can't use it. I use a measuring cap that is provided with other medicine I take. The cap has markings for 2.5mls which I think is 50mg, then 5mls which I think is 100 mls. I can't work out how to measure 25mls or 75mls, if I'm going to withdraw from it. I was taking other pregabalin liquid which was thicker and I used to take teaspoons of it. At the moment I feel like going cold turkey.

hanshan
30-12-13, 05:45
Hi Joanne,

I don't think you will get a measuring cap that will go below 2.5 ml (50 mg).

If you want to get a smaller quantity than that, you can add it to a little water, then divide that up.

For example, to get 25 mg, you can add 2.5 ml to 10 ml of water, mix, then divide that into two lots (about 6 ml each, but it doesn't have to be absolutely exact). Take one half for the first 25 mg dose and the other half for the next dose. It won't go off.

For 75 mg, add the 25 mg dose to a 50 mg dose.

Liquids may not have a pleasant taste. Sometimes keeping the medication cold in the refrigerator stops it tasting as much. A little water afterwards (I know you have problems swallowing) and something sweet like a soft drink might help.

Pharmacists are the experts to talk to about dosing problems - unfortunately, many are kept busy all day with dispensing. But you shouldn't let dosing problems alone be the reason for stopping a medication - there are solutions.

Good luck.

joanne30
30-12-13, 11:40
Thank you for your advice Hanshan. I'm not at all knowledgable when it cones to meds. During my 21 yrs of having anxiety, I've been on propranalol, Olanzapine, risperdal, seroxat and now seroxat. I wouldn't go back on anti-psychotics because they used to knock me out even though I was on a low dose. I feel as though I'm having breakthrough anxiety with pregabalin. I know I can go on a higher dose, but I don't want to do that because I'm having too many side effects at 300mls. I have an appointment with my gp this afternoon, so I'll see what his advice is.

joanne30
30-12-13, 23:09
I saw my gp to day about withdrawing from pregabalin. He said that was ok. He recommended that seeing that I'm on 150 x 2 a day that I could lower the dose by 50mg a week making that a two week withdrawal. I'm going back on seroxat at the same time as the withdrawal. I am going on a low dose of seroxat, 10mg on week 1 of withdrawal, 20mg week 2 and at the end of week 2 when I've come off pregabalin, I'll go back on 40mg of seroxat that I was on before I went on pregabalin.
Do you think that I'll be withdrawing from pregabalin too fast? I'm hoping that the fact that I've only been on it four months will mean that I won't get any withdrawal symptons. Will seroxat help with the symptons of the withdrawal. I might be one of the lucky ones. The fact that I went cold turkey on seroxat and had no major withdrawal symptons, might mean I'll be ok withdrawing from pregabalin. I believe the seroxat withdrawal is horrendous, only the withdraw from diazepam and other benzos is worse.
I'm hopefully start the withdraw tomorrow (if I can, I'm terrified).
Wish me luck, I might need it!!!

hanshan
31-12-13, 05:38
Hi Joanne,

I don't think anyone can give definite answers to your questions. With any luck, two weeks should not be too fast, and the Seroxat might help with the transition.

As I understand it, you will reduce to 100 mg x 2 daily to start, then to 50 mg x 2 daily at the end of week one, and finish at the end of week two. Hopefully the taper will go well, but it might be helpful and reassuring if you have some extra medication to slow things down if you feel it's going too quickly.

Good luck!

joanne30
31-12-13, 10:01
Thank you Hanshan, your advice is very reassuring, and has helped to calm me down. I think I'll stop googling pregabalin withdrawal, because it's only making my anxiety worse, when I read about people's' bad experiences with withdrawal on other forums.
Thank you again Hanshan:)