PDA

View Full Version : Xanax Dependence while starting Sertraline?

TooMuchToLiveFor
22-12-13, 22:35
I am a little over a month in starting Sertraline (Zoloft) (2 weeks at 50mg, 1 at 75mg, and a little over two at 100mg). My panic/anxiety was at such critical mass upon start up, and then working through start up, that I was also given Alprazolam (Xanax) to take- .5 4xs daily as needed. My doc said in a severe attack it was okay to add an extra .25 as well. I was in such bad shape that for about three weeks I was consistently taking a .5 every six hours, but for the last five days I dropped down to just two .5s a day. I have noticed my anxiety is way increasing again, I have been on the verge of several panic attacks again, and I am growing in the area of upper GI pain and nausea.

I have confirmed over and over with my medical doctor who assures me I will not become dependent on Xanax during this time if I continue taking as prescribed. I also questioned my psychiatrist and psychologist about this. They seemed to be in agreement.

So- my question for you guys is- do you think the increase in my anxiety and the stomach issues are due to:
1.) My original problem of panic/anxiety?
2.) Cutting back on the Xanax and experiencing withdrawl symptoms?
3.) Not being on a therapeutic dose of Sert long enough?

I see my docs again next week, but since I am getting worse again- I think my anxiety is feeding on itself. I don't know if I should be doing something different concerning the Xanax or not....

Really hoping for some feedback........thank you, friends.

---------- Post added at 16:35 ---------- Previous post was at 13:42 ----------

Bump

TooMuchToLiveFor
23-12-13, 15:16
Lots of views...no replies. :)

Anyone?

MrAndy
23-12-13, 15:21
you could ask your doctor about mood stabilizers rather than taking xanax
good luck :)

TooMuchToLiveFor
23-12-13, 16:05
Thanks, Mr. Andy. :)

Mya
24-12-13, 00:08
Hello,

I do not know the effects of Xanax - I am inquiring myself at the moment because I may need to take it in the future. From my understanding the withdrawals from Xanax can be hard and come on quickly. It may very well be the symptoms you are feeling since lowering your dosage (and we already know how sensitive our nervous symptoms are to begin with), are causing your anxiety to escalate temporarily. I'm sure once you get on the proper medication and dosage that is best for you, you will begin to feel better. I have reservations because I have heard how it can be difficult to wean off this drug which terrifies me, but I also am terrified of not taking it and being able to cope with some situational anxiety in the future. I hope you feel better soon. I hear this drug works wonders for many in extreme anxious states, but also coming off can be quite stressful too.

Emphyrio
24-12-13, 22:31
I think that if you've been taking 100mg for 2 weeks, you're still experiencing the start-up effects from the sertraline. Its best to give a dosage 8-12 weeks before you conclude that its not doing anything for you or needs to be increased.

If you've been taking the benzo for 4 weeks, I'd say that you may experience some increased anxiety if you were to stop, but the way you are describing it suggests that its mostly ssri start-up effects. Just hold on 100mg for a few more weeks, and things should get better.