PDA

View Full Version : Congestion and anxiety?

BeckyBop
22-12-13, 20:47
Hey all
I am very congested at the moment very stuffy nose and blocked throat cause of mucus. I also feel very coldy in my head if that makes sense. Occasionally one side of my nose will block which I know is normal but congestion is causing me a lot of anxiety - I feel like I can't breathe properly which can cause me to go into a panic and sometimes my throat is so clogged I have to swallow a few times to clear - even more anxiety. Does this happen to anyone else?

HoneyLove
22-12-13, 20:51
Becky, the answer is simple here and I think you already know it, you just have a common cold.

You've made quite a few panicked posts over the last few days, I'm just wondering have you any steps set in place to help you deal with the anxiety? Any tools you can use to stop the panic? Or have you talked to your GP about the anixety?

BeckyBop
22-12-13, 20:56
Yes I know my anxiety has been very bad over the past few days... I am going to the doctors tomorrow and I signed up for therapy ages ago but the waiting list is so long I know I keep posting but it sometimes helps me be reassured

HoneyLove
22-12-13, 21:04
The reassurance behaviour is not very good for your anxiety levels Becky, it only works for a short period of time as you can see from the amount of threads you've been creating.

While you're waiting for therapy there is still plenty you can do to help yourself feel better.

This is a link to a free online CBT course:

https://moodgym.anu.edu.au

It would also be good to learn some relaxation methods like meditation or breathing exercises. There are plenty of YouTube videos that will teach you the basics or will guide you through meditation.

I'd recommend a book & cd combination called Control Stress by Paul McKenna too.

You might consider looking at YouTube videos of Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) to give yourself a tool to cut off panic attacks before they start.

BeckyBop
22-12-13, 21:07
Thank you honeylove its been very hard recently I will defenitley have a look at those links thank you :) I just don't know why my anxiety is so bad at the moment I was doing so well now its back with panic attacks worse than ever

Fishmanpa
22-12-13, 21:08
I posted this link in one of your previous threads the other day.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=140300

It's FREE. We're trying to help by offering you some tools. You don't have to be a carpenter, just be willing to swing the hammer ;)

Positive thoughts

HoneyLove
22-12-13, 21:10
Sometimes these things get on top of us, and it can be easy to fall back into the fear cycle. Don't overanalyse it too much, just work on finding your way out again.

Once you've learned some solid tools you'll be able to stop yourself from going back into that cycle again x

BeckyBop
22-12-13, 21:16
thank you i will try my hardest x