PDA

View Full Version : Concerned Over Monster Storm

Rain
22-12-13, 23:43
The mother and father of all storms is set to hit the West Coast of Ireland on Monday evening. The gusts are expected to be up to 130 km per hour. I live on the West Coast of Ireland in a house that stands by itself on the top of a hill. We have already had power cuts on and off all day during a comparatively minor storm and very large hailstones and a little drifting snow. I am worried we will get halfway through cooking our turkey (electric oven) and the power will go and be off for days, also possibly ruining a fridge full of food. I'm more worried about structural damage though. The UK should get this storm after it has passed over Ireland. An even bigger one is expected on Friday. Batten down the hatches, everyone and stay safe.

times71
23-12-13, 07:33
I love the west coast of Ireland, and a house by itself on top of a hill near the coast... lucky you. Assuming your house isn't brand new im sure it's been through worse. And if you do get a power cut and Christmas dinner is ruined? so what... the very least it will be a great party story to tell.

Rennie1989
23-12-13, 12:08
Could you spend Christmas in a relatives home this year instead?

If there is a risk of a long power cut it maybe an idea to cook the turkey now. At worst you can eat it cold. If you still have power then you can reheat it. And get those blue box things that helps to keep food cold, you can leave it outside.

Rain
26-12-13, 18:29
The Big One is starting here now. Fingers crossed for the next 24 hours. It could be bad.

PanchoGoz
26-12-13, 19:34
Thinking of you rain!

Tessar
26-12-13, 20:07
hello rain; I didn't see your original post here; how did it go when the storm hit? it was pretty bad here but not too much damage I know of but plenty of blocked roads from trees down & flooding. I had to take a huge detour driving home from work on Monday and the route I drive (whichever way I go) is tree lined in most places. still, I was careful and will be when tomorrow's storm hits too. I had previously had a tree vs car experience so I am always cautious but luckily it doesn't cause me undue anxiety, no more than you'd expect. I hope you are ok and that also the storm tomorrow doesn't cause you too much stress either. must say some of the gusts here had things creaking rather well & I reckon its the strongest wind we'd have since I lived here 20 years ago!!!

Rain
27-12-13, 02:58
The wind speed is incredible. No hope of sleeping. My dogs are terrified.

Cú Chulainn
27-12-13, 03:49
LOL in the same boat but with the power off!!
Just chillax and do stuff you like
Hopefully it will make you a bit sleepy
btw I'm reading a book by candle light.

Rain
27-12-13, 04:55
The eye just passed over and it went quiet for a bit but starting up again now. They say the worst is to come. I'm in the Wild West of Ireland. What part are you in Cu?

Cú Chulainn
27-12-13, 05:26
I its heard on the news the worst is gonna be about midday today.
I live in Donegal btw

Tessar
31-12-13, 19:01
On the weather it just popped up "WARNING: RAIN" .......
Made me think of this thread & indeed you, Rain.
Did u survive the recent storm?