PDA

View Full Version : magazine article has started me off again!

cherrypie26
23-12-13, 14:15
Hi everyone.
Have just read an article in my magazine where someone who's 42 has a diagnosis of pancreatic cancer. This has started me off again as I am worried I have it as I have constant tummy pain. I know I am young to have this as in my twentys. But I worry more as I have probably drank more than I should have in the past few years and smoked which puts me at a higher risk (I know this is my own fault). I am so worried and just want to cry. Ive had the date for my ultrasound through which is this sat. I dont think I can enjoy xmas one little bit. I am so sensitive to anything I hear or read etc. I am dreading the new year. I keep thinking that I am not going to see much of it. I seriously feel beyond any help whilst I keep getting tons of physical symptoms. Please help. I feel so trapped and alone right now.

ShellyTai
23-12-13, 14:22
awh - big hugs .... I'm 100% sure you don't have Pancreatic Cancer.....
Has dr done any blood tests ??

xxx

cherrypie26
23-12-13, 15:36
Ohhh thank you. I really hope not. No he's felt my tummy and prescribed me lanzoprozole to protect my tummy from acid etc and some amitryptline for anxiety but as of yet I feel no better. He is also sending me for an ultrasound to "be on the safe side". But has done no blood tests yet. I was thinking of asking for some if I dont feel better in a couple of weeks or so, but I am convinced something will be found on the ultrasound

hheavenlyangel
23-12-13, 16:13
:( I smoked and boy did I drink way back when I was in my 20's and I used to eat 1 pack of chips (crisps) a day - not so nutritional hey.... Im sure you're absolutely fine. There are quite a number of reasons why you could be experiencing stomach discomfort/pain and none of them are dangerous to your life. Anxiety causes stomach upsets - kind of a vicious cycle don't you think... Just try center yourself, take a few deep breaths. You're fine. You truly are fine. When those intrusive thoughts come into your head - just visualise the word STOP, these thoughts are just that - Thoughts. What can you see, smell, hear. Just remember that you are safe, its just a feeling, a sensation in your body and although its uncomfortable, its not dangerous its just a sensation. Everytime those thoughts pop in just yell STOP in your head. Center yourself and know its ok, its just a sensation. Also, just remember when we have a feeling or a sensation and we focus on it, that feeling can seem a lot worse than it really is.

Just take a breath, enjoy your Christmas - you're absolutely fine.

PS: I used to freak out by stupid stories in the paper a magazine or on the internet too but just remember - that is 1 person in how many billions.... and don't think that you are that 1 person because you're not. I have a healthy dislike for the media, they sensationalize everything.... just remember that. They sensationalize EVERYTHING to sell a story.

Hope you feel better soon xx

Fishmanpa
23-12-13, 16:44
Dang magazine articles! When I read a post I look for the rational statements and those are what I focus on. You know exactly why you're feeling this way based on this statement: "I am so sensitive to anything I hear or read etc" So there's that which is actually a good thing.

Then you said: "I know I am young to have this as in my twentys." Spot on!

And drinking? Pffft... at your age I partied probably 10X the amount you did and I'm fine sans seeing flying monkeys ~lol~ Even my kids turned out fairly normal!

You imply you quit smoking which is GREAT! You're young enough to nullify any ill effects.

Like I said, there are some positives in your post. Focus on them and have a happy Christmas!

Positive thoughts

cherrypie26
23-12-13, 18:25
Hi,
Thank you both for your brilliant advice and positive reassurance. Ill try not to be so hard on myself about my past crazy lifestyle. I find it just really adds to my HA. I just know that I could've looked after myself a bit better. One hour at a time at the minute I think. I will beat this as long as this killer disease doesn't beat me first (exactly how im feeling right now).

Thank you again for taking the time to advise an on the edge woman. Merry christmas and a happy new year to you all.

jojo69
23-12-13, 19:01
aaw hun im feeling the same way at this minute the negative thoughts running thru my head ive just found out that my liver test is elevated again and my stomach is doing summersaults thinking the worst why do we do this to ourselves?? ive googled loads since I come back and its made me much worse xx

rb1978
23-12-13, 19:24
I avoid magazine articles, tv shows, anything about health these days. The stomach and bowel can be so sensitive to anxiety really.

Just think....the articles are always about freak things, you never get articles about all the thousands of people who had stomach ache that turned out to be ibs or an upset tum.

cherrypie26
23-12-13, 19:40
Ohh jojo.
I hope you're feeling better very soon. And why do we google?! We just make it worse for ourselves. Google is the devil when it comes to HA. We know this but still cant help it. Try not to worry (easier said than done I know, and this is coming from me who cannot take my own advice). And don't google anymore because it makes the worry much much worse in the long run. See it as an early christmas present to yourself. It helps to come on here and chat etc. as I used to think I was a complete "freak" and the only person who was like this. I can't believe how common it is. I wish it wasn't though as health anxiety is horrible! Xx

---------- Post added at 19:40 ---------- Previous post was at 19:27 ----------

Rb1978, that is exactly what I need to do. Avoid everything associated with health. It's just everywhere and sometimes it feels like there's no avoiding it, didnt see this one coming though as it was just a picture of a couple in one of my glossy mags, then the word just hit me and I wish I'd never read it. You are exactly right about the most extreme cases only being written about. Suppose they want to grab the reader or scare the hell out of the likes of us.
The funny thing is this particular article wasn't a scaremongering, in depth, you've probably got this disease piece. It was celebrating a couple's love and him being diagnosed with this cancer at quite a young age. But because it has mentioned just the mere word then it breaks me all over again. Being completely mental I also think "oh my goodness its another sign, I have got this". Weird I know :( Ohhh anything to be normal, whatever that is