PDA

View Full Version : burning in throat, is it an anxiety physical symptom?

made0fscars
23-12-13, 15:35
Since Thursday night I have had on and off burning in my throat, it is usually worse after I eat but it is the most prominent as the day goes on but when I wake up I don't really feel much until about half an hour to an hour later, then it persists throughout the day..

I am scared to death about it and have had such high anxiety levels over it, especially due to all my recent bleach worries (that were extremely irrational and I realise this now)

I have had an awful diet in the last few weeks, such as no veg/vitamins whatsoever and just take-away crap..

has anyone else had a burning sensation in their throat as a symptom of anxiety before? I have had it in my mouth and my tongue before but I'm kind of used to that now, and that is a known common anxiety symptom

Please help and advise! I am worried it may be something more sinister.. and as it is Christmas this week I can't get a doctors appointment and I'm scared I will ruin Xmas for everyone with my panicking..

Fishmanpa
23-12-13, 15:57
Hi MoS,

Certainly we're not doctors and cannot diagnose but based on your diet and existing anxiety issues, what you describe sounds like a symptom of acid reflux which is a common ailment of anxiety sufferers. You can try taking an OTC acid reducer or chew some antacid tabs and see if that helps.

Hope you feel better!

Positive thoughts

made0fscars
23-12-13, 16:05
I don't know if it is :/ I haven't felt any acid rise up into my thoat so that's why it's confusing

harasgenster
23-12-13, 17:43
Hi, I don't get the heartburn feeling when I have reflux, I just get a burning sensation in my throat and my back teeth hurt. Sometimes my throat also feels swollen. I also get a hollow sensation in my stomach, nausea, and sometimes very painful burning sensations in my back (feels like in the lungs), and I get short of breath/find it difficult to take deep breaths. You can get all kinds of things with acid reflux and some people, like me, never actually get the traditional feeling of acid coming up or heartburn :)

angrry
23-12-13, 18:02
Hi madeOfscars...i have reflux too...at least thats what the ENT said...i get no heartburn...it's all in my throat...feels swollen, burns, have to clear my throat all the time. as harasgenster says reflux can cause all kinds of problems without causing heartburn....of course even though the ENT says he believes it's reflux I have a hard time belieiving it's nothing far more sinister so I know where you're coming from...hopefully you feel better soon and your fears over this go away...

made0fscars
23-12-13, 20:33
Hi, I don't get the heartburn feeling when I have reflux, I just get a burning sensation in my throat and my back teeth hurt. Sometimes my throat also feels swollen. I also get a hollow sensation in my stomach, nausea, and sometimes very painful burning sensations in my back (feels like in the lungs), and I get short of breath/find it difficult to take deep breaths. You can get all kinds of things with acid reflux and some people, like me, never actually get the traditional feeling of acid coming up or heartburn :)

hello, thank you for replying!

so do you get the feeling after eating or just all the time?

because I've had it on and off (mainly on) for 3/4 days even at the start of the day when I've had no food!

---------- Post added at 20:33 ---------- Previous post was at 20:32 ----------

Hi madeOfscars...i have reflux too...at least thats what the ENT said...i get no heartburn...it's all in my throat...feels swollen, burns, have to clear my throat all the time. as harasgenster says reflux can cause all kinds of problems without causing heartburn....of course even though the ENT says he believes it's reflux I have a hard time belieiving it's nothing far more sinister so I know where you're coming from...hopefully you feel better soon and your fears over this go away...

thank you for replying also!

so you don't feel the acid coming up either? and do you have it at any time during the day even when you haven't eaten? or just like when you have and it goes away after a while?

harasgenster
23-12-13, 20:37
hello, thank you for replying!

so do you get the feeling after eating or just all the time?

because I've had it on and off (mainly on) for 3/4 days even at the start of the day when I've had no food!

Pretty much all the time. Actually gets slightly better after eating for half an hour or so, then gets bad again.

If you have it constantly for a week or more and antacids make no difference, drop down the docs because there's a stomach infection called H Pylori that is extremely common and causes acid reflux. A course of antibiotics gets rid of it.

made0fscars
23-12-13, 20:42
Pretty much all the time. Actually gets slightly better after eating for half an hour or so, then gets bad again.

If you have it constantly for a week or more and antacids make no difference, drop down the docs because there's a stomach infection called H Pylori that is extremely common and causes acid reflux. A course of antibiotics gets rid of it.

Ahh okay, well I think it could be triggered by the food I've been eating lately I'm not sure, like everything has been fried/fattening and all my drinks have been like carbonated ones, so maybe they are the culprit, but if I still have it next week I will probably go to the doctors

angrry
23-12-13, 20:55
I have throat issues all the time and I don't feel the acid coming up..so far omeprazole has done nothing to relieve it...i think i need to go back to my doc and then to another ENT as the one I saw in June has retired. I wake up in the morning and don't feel too bad...I have a sour taste in my mouth tho. As the day goes on it gets worse...swollen throat, pain, feeling of something stuck. My throat will actually feel better when I eat..feels worse if all i am swallowing is saliva....like I said before i still worry it's something much worse..but only the doctor will be able to make that determination...I hope i'm right in the assumption that if this was something much worse than reflux it would be causing much worse symptoms than I am having now after 8 months...yours really does sound like silent reflux or LPR (laryngo-pharyngeal reflux)....check with your doc he can prescribe some acid blockers to help....and stay away from carbonated drinks and caffeine...bad triggers for this problem.

made0fscars
23-12-13, 21:14
I have throat issues all the time and I don't feel the acid coming up..so far omeprazole has done nothing to relieve it...i think i need to go back to my doc and then to another ENT as the one I saw in June has retired. I wake up in the morning and don't feel too bad...I have a sour taste in my mouth tho. As the day goes on it gets worse...swollen throat, pain, feeling of something stuck. My throat will actually feel better when I eat..feels worse if all i am swallowing is saliva....like I said before i still worry it's something much worse..but only the doctor will be able to make that determination...I hope i'm right in the assumption that if this was something much worse than reflux it would be causing much worse symptoms than I am having now after 8 months...yours really does sound like silent reflux or LPR (laryngo-pharyngeal reflux)....check with your doc he can prescribe some acid blockers to help....and stay away from carbonated drinks and caffeine...bad triggers for this problem.

When I wake up I don't feel the burning for half an hour to an hour, then it starts and progressively gets worse during the day, that's what makes me think it might be anxiety triggered as opposed to something serious, hmm..

angrry
23-12-13, 22:23
try to keep hydrated...drink water...try eating some hard candy..it could help lessen the burning feeling