PDA

View Full Version : Feeling like you don't belong....

HunniBee
23-12-13, 20:24
Evening all,

Hope your all well :)

I didn't know where to post this....but most of my life but more so now I'm older, I've been having feelings like I don't belong.

It sounds weird but feels even weirder! I can sit there with close friends & family & all of a sudden I get this wave of "I shouldn't be here, I don't belong here" and it's a feeling of panic & butterflies in my stomach & it upsets me because this is my family & people I've known for years!!

Can someone relate or shed any light? I would be most grateful :)

Thanks,

HB xx

harasgenster
23-12-13, 20:44
Yeah, I've always had a feeling that I don't belong in society and that I'm fundamentally different to everyone else.

Here's an article on social isolation schema which may shed some light: http://www.lucreid.com/?tag=social-isolation

Social isolation schema is not a diagnosis by the way! It's a way of describing a set of skewed beliefs that some people have and that can lead to anxiety and depression.

HunniBee
23-12-13, 21:46
Thank you Harasgenster, was a good read :)

HB xx

harasgenster
23-12-13, 21:53
Thank you Harasgenster, was a good read :)

HB xx

No problem, if you feel like you related to it, there is a book called Reinventing your Life that gives you a little guide to schema therapy. I think you can buy it cheap for Kindle, I can't remember, but there might be some ideas in there for you on overcoming the feeling of social isolation. Schema is a mix between CBT and psychotherapy and is usually better suited to people who have found CBT only of limited help, as it goes that little bit deeper (so it's better for people who have 'always' been ill, if you see what I mean).

I don't know whether that's really what you're looking for and the book is nowhere near as good as speaking to a therapist but if you're really struggling I'd recommend taking a look at it.

Hope you feel better soon.