PDA

View Full Version : Question about Xanax - Very Scared

Mya
23-12-13, 21:42
Hello

I've have never had a prescription for Xanax and am very anxious about using it, however, it may be my only hope at the present time. I may possibly be needing some medical procedures in the near future - I have EXTREME health anxiety to begin with - just setting foot into a doctors office can put me over the deep end. I have tried therapy this has not helped my fear and I have no time to waste anymore to get over it. It's completely irrational but my dr says it is a biological response that occurs with me. I experience drastic blood pressure changes too which gives real physical symptoms that just fuel my anxiety even more. It is terrible!

So I have a question - it's been advised I take Xanax prior to my visit. Anyone with experience with this medication can you please chime in - will this stop the anxiety in its tracks, will it alleviate the symptoms so I can get through this process?? I am terrified already about the medical procedure plus I am very much a holistic type scared of medication, but if it will get me through this I will take a chance. I know this can be addictive so I plan on using just for a few weeks to get me through this very scary time. Thanks for any input or help!

TooMuchToLiveFor
24-12-13, 02:51
Hi Mya,
So sorry you are dealing with this anxiety issue, but you will get through this!

Of course this is best answered by your doctor, but IMHO two weeks using as prescribed by your doctor should not be an issue concerning dependence. The reason I feel safe to say that is because my medical doctor, psychiatrist, and psychologist are all in agreement that my being on .5, 4xs a day for 6-8 weeks is not a problem. Do you know what dosage they are suggesting, and will you take it "as needed" or on a timeline basis? And, I am assuming it is your doctor that has advised you to take it before your next visit?

Mya
24-12-13, 03:45
Thank you SO much for responding and your kind words. It means a lot to me!

It is my doctor that advised this. He is my GP so it is not a psychiatrist that is prescribing it which also made me a bit nervous because I don't know if he fully understands this anxiety disorder and severe panic that takes over me - especially in clinical environments! I am unsure what the dosage will be. I believe it will be same as you .5 and he told me I would take it "as needed." I wanted to hear people's experiences with this medication and if it worked well for panic. I know it probably affects everyone differently, but wanted to hear some personal experiences as to whether it really puts you into a calm state. Once I do get prescribed I will take it so I can see how it sits with me - I'm just concerned that it will give me a "false" reading if I am not in complete panic mode and thinking it is calming me. Then when I hit the the actual trigger it will not work - that is my major fear! Did your dosage help you? Did it bring about a feeling of calmness? I am just hoping it puts me into a state of not having a care in the world so I can get through some possible medical procedures - words can't describe what a state I get myself into. It's embarrassing and I resort into a child it seems. Awful and terribly embarrassing at the same time!

Thank you so much for your response. I will also ask him if he thinks taking this on a timeline basis will be better. You have given me reassurance about dependence too. It will only be for a few weeks that I will take it. Thanks so much again. I hope you feel better too. Anxiety is terrible - don't wish this bloody mess on my worst enemy :(

TooMuchToLiveFor
24-12-13, 04:18
My medical doctor is who prescribed mine as well, and I was SOOO worried about dependence and having to deal with coming off of them and going through withdrawl symptoms, etc., so it made me much more comfortable getting confirmation from my psychiatrist and psychologist that they thought it was a fine path to take.

My panic disorder started only about two months ago, but escalated so quickly that within a couple of weeks I was becoming completely agoraphobic and my anxiety/panic was unlike anything I could have ever imagined until going through it. The Xanax is extremely helpful. If you are in dire need of speedy effectiveness you can dissolve it under your tongue (it is bitter), and then it gets into your system quickly. I have had several panic attacks start to ramp up and within a short while of taking the Xanax I move back to a calmer state. For me it does not cause me to lose clarity or be out of it, but it really does wash over the panic and helps it melt away. If you are not in a panic state when you take it you may feel relaxed and sleepy. I would speak with your GP again and just really make sure he understands the trauma you go through. I would ask if you take the .5 and you are still really panicking how long he wants you to wait before you can take half a pill or another .5.

Yes, anxiety is miserable beyond miserable, but we can overcome it. I also get extreme physical responses to my panic, but therapy is really helping me. May I suggest it would be worth trying another therapist? Also, I would like to suggest the book "Hope and Healing for Your Nerves" by Claire Weeks. You can get it on Amazon.

I am here to talk whenever you need. :)