PDA

View Full Version : Intrusive thoughts and fear of szhizophrenia

wilcb003
24-12-13, 12:19
Ok so for a while a fear of developing schizophrenia as part of my anxiety problem. That went away for ages and i was fine...until yesterday.

I was talking to a girl i'm seeing and she mentioned some guy at the gym, not in a suspicious way but my mind started to go 'i wonder what is going on there' an creating scenarios in my head ( i might add i have been screwed over before by girls) I don't actually for a minute think anything is going on, its just a thought that got stuck in my head and it scares me cos i wonder if it's some sort of paranoia!?

The i went to bed and my laptop was being dodgy, not turning off properly, and i started to get nervous that it would turn on when i was trying to get to sleep and the thought came into my head 'oh god what if i'm scared of my laptop' or something ridiculous like that.

All this has brought back the terrifying idea that i might be schizophrenic :(

Any advice would be great. thanks.

ryan.divall
24-12-13, 19:26
I get paranoid too. Anxiety feeds the paranoia and the paranoia feeds the anxiety.
You are clearly very articulate about how you feel and the fact that you admitted it's a paranoid thought means it's NOT schizophrenia.
schizophrenics have no idea that they're mental processes aren't right, in fact they have no concern or slight inkling that they might be going crazy.
Also most schizophrenics aren't just paranoid they have hallucinations, and full on delusions.
When I say delusions I mean unfounded paranoid delusions, such as "MI15 are controlling my thoughts through the television"
Everyone experiences paranoia, I certainly do and I have also worried about schizophrenia but in my case my family and friends told me how silly I was being.
The fact it's a girl you're seeing maybe you just care about her a lot and her mentioning another man got your brain over thinking.
Don't worry, you're normal my friend.
Ryan :) x

wilcb003
24-12-13, 23:26
Thanks man. That reply is a huge help honestly. eases my worries a bit. happy chrimbo!

Volvoman50
05-01-14, 18:58
Hi there hope this helps this from OCD UK website:-What is not OCD!

Schizophrenia
Some people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder have a fear that their OCD is the beginning of a more serious mental health condition, Schizophrenia, where they fear they will lose control. However, it is important to remember that developing OCD is not a precursor to someone going on to develop any other form of illness and that someone with OCD does not have any higher risk of becoming schizophrenic than any other member of society.