PDA

View Full Version : Probelms with breathing/swallowing

AnxiousPansa
24-12-13, 14:09
Hi everyone
I have had anxiety for quite a while but recently overawareness of bodily functions that should be automatic is really getting me down. I have a tendency to focus and then worry about things the body does automatically like breathing, swallowing sometimes even blinking. Recently however the constant awarness of breathing has led to me hyperventilating a lot. All day I seem to be focusing on it and taking short, quick breaths which then makes me hyperventilate, panic, think im dying, think im going to be this way forever... you get the idea. I also have some stupid thoughts like what if I start holding my breath all the time etc does anyone else suffer from this and what can I do about hyperventilation cause I see no end to it and constantly worry im going to stop breathing?

---------- Post added at 14:09 ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 ----------

Also I have bad mucus at the moment from a cold which worsens everytime I eat. This then makes me anxious about eating which isnt helping. I am scared my throat will clog or I wont be able to breath :/

Leslie735
24-12-13, 14:56
First of all, maybe try some over the counter medication to help with the muscus so that'll get rid of that worry for you. When you start to have these breathing episodes, stop what you are doing and lay down, or sit in a comfy place and try and distract yourself. Count backwards, watch something you like on TV, go for a walk outside in the fresh air. Just try to distract yourself from focusing on your breathing. I pray you feel better soon!

AnxiousPansa
24-12-13, 15:08
Thank you Leslie I have managed to eat lunch fine and am currently feeling much more relaxed watching a film :)

Leslie735
24-12-13, 15:23
Glad to hear it!

Izzie2494
24-12-13, 17:21
I suffered with concerntrating on breathing really badly last year and it still comes back ever so often, I used to get so sick and frustrated of controlling my breathing it was literally making me hate life. All I can suggest is distraction , I went back to work and soon forgot about it, also I went on anti-depressants which I think helped a lot
Your body knows how to breathe- hense why when we are asleep we breath fine, try not to concerntrate on it much and it will soon go away! X

---------- Post added at 17:21 ---------- Previous post was at 17:20 ----------

*big deep breaths in a paper bag can help with hyperventilation!