PDA

View Full Version : Blood pressure

dave316
13-11-06, 14:42
hey folks

I have just bought one of those automatic blood pressure checker machines. Does anyone else have one?

I tried it just a minute ago and when i put the cuff around my arm it tightened a great deal. I was just interested to know due to this tightness, can it get so tight around your arm that it can do damage to your arm or circulation?

Dave, UK

creatrix
13-11-06, 15:09
hey, dave. my dad has had one of those for some time and he has checked it against the one at his dr's and it has been quite accurate. remember, you aren't to speak while it is measuring, you have to stay still and have your arm resing at roughly heart level. I think the brand you get is important. I'm sure there are some inexpensive brands that are complete rubbish, but the better ones are quite good.

Good luck to you!

nomorepanic
13-11-06, 15:11
Dave I have one at home too and use it to do readings for my GP.

I took mine in and he checked what reading I got from mine compared to his reading and mine was slightly higher so he was happy that he could trust the readings from mine.

When I have it done at the doctor's the reading is sky high (White coat syndrome) so I do my own readings and take them in.

It will get really tight yes but it won't do you any harm.

You need to sit still for 5 minutes before taking a reading and if you want to do more than one then leave at least 10 minutes in between each one or the readings will not be accurate.

Hope that helps.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

honeybee3939
13-11-06, 15:42
Hi Dave,

I have one also, and yes it does get tight, at first when i started using it my pulse was high because the tightness used to frighten me, but i have got used to it now, and my readings are normal.

I also take my readings to the docs as i suffer with White Coat too.

Love

Andrea
xxxx

Piglet
13-11-06, 17:04
I suffer from the old white coat syndrome too - so I always wear brown now! :D

Love Piglet xx

dave316
13-11-06, 17:12
Guys I'm very stupid today, I can't get the cuff on my arm properly for the blood pressure test. I always get it on and then think its tight enough to start but when i do start the test, the pressure on the machine gets so tight that the velcro comes apart. What am i doing wrong guys?

Dave, UK

nomorepanic
13-11-06, 17:22
Does yours have an adjustment on it. Mine does and you set it depending on what your normal blood pressure is so it shoudln't get too tight and come undone.

Just a thought.

Nicola

honeybee3939
13-11-06, 17:26
Hi Dave,

When i got my BP monitor they measured my arm, i had to have the large size band, what size is yours?

Love

Andrea
xxx

dave316
13-11-06, 17:42
My arm size?

nomorepanic
13-11-06, 18:35
Dave

They have different cuff sizes on the blood pressure monitors so maybe you needed a bigger one.

Nicola

dave316
13-11-06, 18:53
Okay guys as usual it took a woman to sort out a mans problem (i don't mind saying it). By that i mean my mom came home from work and worked out how to check the blood pressure pmsl

Anyways my readings (i did 2) were as following. What do these mean in terms of whether they are good or bad results?

first test: 137/84 (83 heartbeats per minute)
second: 134/93 (73 heartbeats per minute)

Dave, UK

baxwalker
13-11-06, 19:28
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Okay guys as usual it took a woman to sort out a mans problem (i don't mind saying it). By that i mean my mom came home from work and worked out how to check the blood pressure pmsl

Anyways my readings (i did 2) were as following. What do these mean in terms of whether they are good or bad results?

first test: 137/84 (83 heartbeats per minute)
second: 134/93 (73 heartbeats per minute)

Dave, UK

<div align="right">Originally posted by dave316 - 13 November 2006 : 18:53:41</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Hi dave

I'm no expert but your reading look reasonable to me. Your doctor would probably like to see them lower as usual.

Cheers

John

nomorepanic
13-11-06, 19:59
Dave

The 93 is a bit high but that could be a one-off so don't panic.

Try not to get obsessed with doing it and as I said leave time between each reading.

If it helps when I had mine done last week at the doctor's it was 150/113!!! He knows that mine is higher when he does it.

Nicola