PDA

View Full Version : Flickering vision

SharkLasers
25-12-13, 12:15
Dear reader,

I've just registered to this forum, because I'm 'suffering' from some symptoms for which I've not yet received a good explanation from any doctor. Maybe someone has experienced the same issues and can shed some light on the situation.

Approximately 3 months ago my left eye became sore and I got spells of dizziness and a feeling of tiredness, including a stiffer neck. Next to that there was a kind of flickering vision; which was mostly noticeable when I closed my eyes. I went to the GP, which recommended me firstly to get my eyes checked. The optician noted that the glass for my left eye was too strong. It contained a -3.50 glass, while only -3.00 was measured. She told me that it was likely that my eye was so far able to accommodate very easily, because I was still quite young (26 years old right now), but that now my eye likely said "no more of this nonsense".

After getting new glasses the pain in my eye went away, but the dizziness and flickering vision remained. On returning to the GP I was sent to a neurologist. He has so far found no reason for the flickering, but will do an 'Evoked Potential' test to check for damages to the optic nerves.

Given my own and my family's medical history, I'm not entirely convinced of a good outcome. I myself had a kind of epilepsy as a young child (very seldom); and my mother has MS.

Something I note about this flickering vision is that it DID start with the pain in my left eye and that it seemed more prevalent when I didn't have the new glasses yet, but I can't say the flickering is only visible in the left eye. The flickering is not constant, in that I can see it when:
- I close my eyes and look at bright objects, such as lamps.
- I seldom see it when it is fully dark.
- When I close my eyes, look towards the sun for a moment and then look at the street, I can also see flickering light.
- In a supermarket or shop, I can sometimes see the light flickering without closing my eyes.

Note that the flickering is not equal to flashes. I don't see additional light, I (usually) only see the light which is already there reduce and increase in brightness. I don't have any black spots or any other visual issues.

Might it be that my eyes are just strained because of the wrong glasses before, and might this still have an effect on me right now? Can the dizziness, tiredness and stiff neck be explained by this?