PDA

View Full Version : Terrified of Heart/Angina - Could I be imaging symptoms?

LaLib
25-12-13, 13:40
The most distressing thing about my heart anxiety is that I've been a nurse for 8 years and should know better about separating anxiety from true cardiac issues. I'm not sure if the problem is knowing too much.

Quick background -- I'm 28 years old, non-smoker, healthy weight, typically low blood pressure, normal cholesterol. Family history of heart disease in grandparents but not parents.

For the past 4+ months, I have been dealing with a revolving door of cardiac symptoms from chest pain/squeezing, arm pain, back pain, heart racing, shortness of breath, nausea, sweating and most recently, jaw pain.

To say I've run the gamut of tests would be an understatement. I've had blood work, EKGs, CT Chest, CXR, 24 hr Cardiac monitor, Stress echo. With the exception of my EKG being abnormal (inverted T waves) which I've known about for the past 10 years and some skipped beats on my monitor, doctors have told me that my heart function is fine. Still, I am convinced that a heart attack/cardiac arrest is inevitable. And it's ruining my life.

Before even having all these tests, my primary doctor told me flat out its anxiety. But I didn't want to hear it because he had no evidence but my family history (Mom had anxiety). My husband supports me having more testing to convince me it's not cardiac, but the thought of pursuing another test just makes me more terrified at the prospect of it being my a fatal blockage or cardiac spasm. I want to be done with tests.

It seems like once I come to terms with a symptom and try to ignore it (chest pain), another one like back pain pops up. It's almost like my body is trying to continuously tell me --- It's your HEART!! I have pushed myself to exercise and go to the gym, carry heavy things, shovel snow to convince myself that I'm not having angina, but I'm just terrified the whole time and think that maybe I didn't push hard enough to make something happen. Sometimes, I feel the discomfort at rest and sometimes doing random things like putting a dish away on a high shelf.

I don't know what to do anymore. Could I really be imagining ALL of these symptoms? I admit that I have fallen victim to reading horror stories of young women having heart attacks and angina, but I find it so hard to believe that I could just precipitate so many symptoms out of purely fear.

Can anyone offer insight or experience? I am so scared and could use any guidance.

robin321
25-12-13, 14:49
I don't think you are imagining symptoms. But... you are looking for them, and you are attributing them to the 'worst case'.
It could be anxiety. It could be reflux. It could be a pulled muscle. The fact that you had all those tests and they were ok means angina is prob the least likely thing it could be. Our bodies will do weird things but it doesn't mean it is our worst fear. It is usually something common. Try to relax and enjoy the holiday.

Fishmanpa
25-12-13, 15:46
Hi LaLib,

You're a nurse and I'm a cardiac patient. Rationally, after 4 months and all those symptoms, you're not dead. Rationally, all tests show nothing wrong. Rationally, as you said, you've been a nurse for 8 years and should know better! Rationally, your current age and health rule out heart issues. And rationally, you're posting on an anxiety forum ;)

A quick look at the symptoms list on the left side of the page will tell you what you're experiencing is anxiety. Yes, anxiety cause actual physical symptoms that can mimic heart issues.

Unfortunately, HA isn't always rational and thus you're in the pickle you're in. I don't have anxiety so I can't offer advice from experience bit I can offer advice from common sense and rationality.

Your post is indicative of many here. One HUGE thing that stands out is that you're thinking rationally much of the time. You realize it doesn't make sense but the anxiety is winding you up every time you get a little twinge. Just like heart disease can be treated, you can treat your anxiety. If you're in the right state of mind to do so, seek therapy and look into CBT (there's a free downloadable book here). After speaking with your doctor or therapist, consider meds if they feel it will help. There are many here who have pursued those avenues are are beating the beast called anxiety.

Positive thoughts

LaLib
25-12-13, 17:21
Thank you both for your replies. It definitely takes the edge off a little.

Fishmanpa -- having experienced true cardiac issues, I am so inspired by your even temperament and insight. I wish you lots of health and happiness in the new year! You're right, rationally speaking, I should assume that after 4 months of rotating symptoms, something would have come to a head and caused a heart attack, dangerous arrhythmia, or worse. I would never deny that there's an anxiety component to my experiences...I just can't shut off the thoughts that if I push too hard, the worst will happen to my heart. I'm sure that is a trademark of anxiety and I plan to seek the help of a psychiatrist to hopefully overcome it through natural methods. I went to a psychologist 2 weeks ago and it just wasn't a good fit -- I didn't feel she was knowledgable enough about the medical aspect and, frankly, I left feeling a little more wound up. Haha.

My husband and I would love to start trying for a child next year, but I know it is of the utmost importance for me to be in the healthiest frame of mind before doing that.

Fishmanpa
25-12-13, 17:33
Your reply affirms my feeling that you can get a grip and strangle the beast :) I went through head and neck cancer this year and having confidence in your doctor(s) is of utmost importance in your treatment and recovery.

Find that good fit and I'm sure you'll do fine. Have fun making that baby ;)

Positive thoughts