PDA

View Full Version : fluoxetine making me arrogant ?

Darren1
25-12-13, 21:45
i feel that this medication has made me arrogant and overly confident. has anything else found this? it has also made in in-tolerant of annoyances in life such as the television being too loud!

my partner has told me that i am not a nice person to be around anymore and colleagues have made comments that i'm cheeky.

in myself i feel fantastic, i spring out of bed every morning and feel that the arrogance gives me a better life because im no longer affraid of saying NO etc.

its hard to say for sure because i also drink alcohol and take diazapam, i guess my brain is all over the place. roll back 7 months ago and i was a normal 28 yr old lad and went to the doctor with neck pain. i got terrible health anxiety over it and now here i am. what a life.

harasgenster
26-12-13, 00:55
Diazepam will not make you 'louder' but prozac (fluoxetine) is known to make people feel a little 'high'. Some people like it, some people don't, but because it makes you feel a bit different I guess it could make you act a little differently.

Don't mix diazepam and alcohol, by the way, they should always be kept separate, and when you say you drink do you mean you feel you drink too much? If you feel you have a problem there, then it's probably more likely that would be the cause of social problems than prozac.

Having said all that, if you're been acting one way for a long time as a result of anxiety, and you start acting in a different way because you're no longer anxious, sometimes people can be taken aback. That doesn't necessarily mean they're right. Fluoxetine will not have caused any major personality changes, although irritability is a side effect (and you might want to be aware of that so you can ensure you don't snap at other people over such things as the TV being too loud).

At the end of the day, if you don't feel you've actually done anything to cause offence, then maybe people should just get used to the new you! Worth checking that your behaviour has been appropriate first (if you're feeling stressed and angry then sometimes you can get a bit out of character) and make sure you are managing any behavioural problems you can see, but if there's none....I just wouldn't worry too much about what other people think!

BTW, I have always worried a lot about whether or not I'm arrogant, or could come across as arrogant, but the best thing to remember is that arrogant people genuinely believe they're better than others. If you don't feel that way then your intentions are in the right place and that's the only thing that counts.

Darren1
27-12-13, 19:36
Diazepam will not make you 'louder' but prozac (fluoxetine) is known to make people feel a little 'high'. Some people like it, some people don't, but because it makes you feel a bit different I guess it could make you act a little differently.

Don't mix diazepam and alcohol, by the way, they should always be kept separate, and when you say you drink do you mean you feel you drink too much? If you feel you have a problem there, then it's probably more likely that would be the cause of social problems than prozac.

Having said all that, if you're been acting one way for a long time as a result of anxiety, and you start acting in a different way because you're no longer anxious, sometimes people can be taken aback. That doesn't necessarily mean they're right. Fluoxetine will not have caused any major personality changes, although irritability is a side effect (and you might want to be aware of that so you can ensure you don't snap at other people over such things as the TV being too loud).

At the end of the day, if you don't feel you've actually done anything to cause offence, then maybe people should just get used to the new you! Worth checking that your behaviour has been appropriate first (if you're feeling stressed and angry then sometimes you can get a bit out of character) and make sure you are managing any behavioural problems you can see, but if there's none....I just wouldn't worry too much about what other people think!

BTW, I have always worried a lot about whether or not I'm arrogant, or could come across as arrogant, but the best thing to remember is that arrogant people genuinely believe they're better than others. If you don't feel that way then your intentions are in the right place and that's the only thing that counts.

thank you that really helped reading somebody elses opinion.

i do believe this is now the 'real me' and people will have to like it or lump it!
i haven't felt this good in so many years. I will certainly monitor my behaivour a little bit to make sure i'm not coming across as too arrogant but on the whole i think people accept i am a better person now that i'm not 'down in the dumps'

i wasnt expecting miracles from prozac but things can happen :)

Darren1
26-07-17, 22:43
i feel that this medication has made me arrogant and overly confident. has anything else found this? it has also made in in-tolerant of annoyances in life such as the television being too loud!

my partner has told me that i am not a nice person to be around anymore and colleagues have made comments that i'm cheeky.

in myself i feel fantastic, i spring out of bed every morning and feel that the arrogance gives me a better life because im no longer affraid of saying NO etc

Wow, what a thing to read looking back 3 years later.

12 months ago I stopped fluoxetine because I was fed up of taking pills and kept forgetting. I also felt normal and that it wasn't doing anything.

3 months ago I started again and googling some side affects I came across my own posts on no more panic!!

I am feeling overly confident on the drug and finding that I am being rude to people - luckily they see the funny side because of my general personality.

I have become very irritable the last few days, even getting annoyed about waiting a couple of minutes at the cafe for my food - like REALLY angry about it.

In a weird way I like the new me, I'm not afraid anymore!

Not only am I irritable again but I am also springing out of bed and getting up earlier and earlier everyday because I look forward to the day. How strange?!?!

I know it will settle down but has anyone else found the drug make them feel overly confident?

Bike Rider
27-07-17, 10:52
Hi Darren.

No I havent, I take 40mg a day and it has eased my anxiety but I still lack enthusiasm, especially in the am.

Been on Fluox since last September. My Doctor swapped me hoping I might get the effect you are having.