PDA

View Full Version : Panic Attacks every night.

DaringDo93
25-12-13, 23:38
Hi,
I'm new here and as I mentioned in my intro. I was diagnosed with ASD when I was 16, along with anxiety and depression.

I have always had most panic attacks at night for what appears to be no reason, however for the last couple of months I have been having one every night when it's time to go to bed. I don't know what causes it but afterwards I feel really sick and ill which means I stay up later and get more and more tired, and therefore makes me feel more ill. (It's a vicious circle!)

I have been to the doctors although admittedly I haven't really mentioned this, I've just been to have my medication increased (Propananol) in hope it would help, but I'm worried I'm getting too dependent on them now.

Basically I'm not sure what the point in writing this is other than getting it off my chest!

laura1200
28-12-13, 09:15
Hi there,

I can have panic attacks at night too.

Are you using any techniques to help you? I use a couple of youtube videos designed for people having a panic attack and they really help me.

It could be helpful to discuss this with your doctor too. I hope you find some comfort soon. :)

daisydaisy
28-12-13, 09:47
Hi there,

I have had some issues with night time panic attacks (for some health reasons primarily) but I do know how distressing it can be.

My top tips that work for me are rationalising and trying to let it pass- distracting myself with either reading or listening to some music (something soothing, for me I choose meditation style music). I then must admit I try to say ok that's it, no more and turn the light off and sleep (no matter how much I want to be awake and on my ipad or something). It may take a while for me to sleep or I will have broken sleep but I find these are the things which are working for me currently.

Never be frightened to tell someone how you are feeling as in your family or friends, panic attacks can be common and hopefully they will understand and be able to support you. You could discuss how you are feeling when you next see your GP. I am not currently taking meds for panic/anxiety but I have in the past- I know everyone says it but sometimes accepting its part of life and accepting the panic makes them less severe and also lessen perhaps in length or duration.

I hope you find some relief soon.

Xx Daisy

clairegibsonx3
02-01-14, 01:25
I am in the exact same situation as you, prescribed propranolol and was scared to become dependant of them but over time I feel they have helped with the fast heartbeat when having an attack and long term I realised if it makes you feel better then whats the harm in taking them. Propranolol is a safe medication and as long as your doctor is monitoring your dosage etc then you are in safe hands and you need to trust yourself as well as your doctor that you are safe. As for the every night panic attacks I am also the exact same, I found that if I thought in my head 'oh its night time again im definitely going to panic' - for absolutely no reason - I felt worse, but when I tell myself 'tonight will be different' it gives me the strength to try and take my mind off of it such as watching TV, even if it meant not watching it just listen, it is a fantastic way to distract your mind from the routine panic attack every night night.

I hope this reply gives you a little reassurance, trust me I spent a year and a half worrying over nothing every single night and this solution was my healer, also I used to sit and play a hidden object game if I really couldnt sleep, involving alot of working out so it gives your mind a break from the usual worries.