PDA

View Full Version : what do you do when it strikes

fruity
26-12-13, 00:17
the awful feelings/sensations of anxiety

anxious_thoughts
26-12-13, 00:34
I usually end up on this website asking for advice. I can't take my symptoms. They really scare me :(

Gotagetthroughthis
26-12-13, 00:36
I do nothing

HoneyLove
26-12-13, 09:08
If I start feeling sensations of anxiety I use a tool to help me calm down. Over the years I've learned a lot of things to help myself, so those feelings of anxiety can be nipped in the bud before they get worse.

I might do a breathing exercise.

I might get up from where I am and go out for a walk or do something nice to distract me.

I might do some EFT tapping if I feel panicky.

I might call someone and explain that I'm feeling a bit anxious, could they talk with me for a moment.

I might sit down and do a CBT exercise to rationalise my thinking.

I might sit down and write out a plan of action so that I have positive steps to take to help me feel better.

There is so much you can do, you just need to learn a few tools that suit you :)

emeraldgirl
26-12-13, 11:53
I try to rationalise whatever it s that is making me anxious. I rate my anxiety 0-10 before and after the rationalisation. I often find the levels have come down if I do this early enough. If I let the anxiety get too far I need to do some major distractions first like going out or clearing a cupboard - those are the things that sometimes work for me

fruity
26-12-13, 21:27
very good distractions. i,ll have to try some of those