PDA

View Full Version : Feel bad - frustrated with depressed boyfriend

harasgenster
26-12-13, 01:32
Hi
I was wondering how others would feel about this and any advice.

Me and boyfriend have been together for around 4 years. During that time, I've gone from quite ill to very ill, to full recovery, and now a bit shaky again as I go through discontinuation syndrome.

I knew my boyfriend suffered from mild depression/dysthymia when I met him and if i'm honest it worried me slightly at the time as I thought two unhappy people together isn't a good thing, but I really liked him and I knew I had the drive to get better so I thought we'd both probably get better together and it wouldn't matter.

But I've been on several different medications in the time I've been with him, I've been through several types of therapy - I'm constantly trying to knock it on the head. He's done nothing. I don't want to force him to do anything because I think that just wouldn't work - he would feel resentful, it would cause arguments, and I don't think therapy works if you're not into it. But I have been trying to gently encourage him. He says he'll give it a go (he doesn't want to see a doctor but he has said for a few months now he'll have a look at free online CBT courses - he hasn't got round to that yet...)

There's two complications here as well. I've just recently got a lot better and I was ill for 14 years from the age of 13. It completely turned my life upside down and now that I feel better I want to change my life. Up to this point, my life has been defined by my limitations - it had to be, otherwise I wouldn't have functioned at all. Now I want it to be defined by what I actually want to do with my life. But it's difficult to make changes and motivate myself when I'm with someone who is so down all the time - it's kind of contagious, if you see what I mean. It's not that he's always very unhappy, or that it affects his functioning to a really great extent, it's mild depression, but I guess that means he rarely smiles, doesn't seek fun, and rarely enjoys anything.

The second thing is that his dad passed away last month. Obviously that really hasn't helped his mood and I feel terrible for him. But to be honest the way he is hasn't changed at all (from the outside, I'm surely he feels a lot worse) than how he's been for the last four years. There's part of me that's just really frustrated and wants to tell him to sort it out, and another (large) part saying that would be extremely unkind at this time. But this is tearing our relationship apart.

I keep imagining how it would be if he was alright or happy more often than depressed. He's great when he's in a good mood, and we're a great match for each other. I keep clinging on to that image and hoping that at some point it will come true and we will be happier together. But I just don't know if he's ever going to try to get better.

I feel guilty about feeling frustrated with him after all he's been through recently - although it's a product of four years of this, not because of what's happened - and I also just want to have another attempt to help him seek treatment and get better. We could be so good together if he could find happiness.

What would you do/say in my situation, do you think?

AnxietySufferer
30-12-13, 17:23
This sounds like a really hard situation to be in, Its great that your on the right track, hopefully this will give him some kind of motivation. I know how hard it is to enjoy life when you feel depressed/anxious but thats exactly why you have to find the little things in life. Think back to each happy memory you have spent together and think about what you can do to make him smile again! Maybe somthing small like surprising him with his favroite childhood board game or tv programme, or getting him a photobook of happy times for his brithday!
I am sure that he feels guilty for dragging you down when you are doing so much better, and part of him probably resents himself for not being able to do the same! All you can do is keep offering him support, i know it isnt easy especially when you have been through the same thing, it is VERY important not to let his mental state set off your own depression or anxiety, so maybe it is best not to spend too much time together.. make sure you factor in time with friends and family and do the little things that make you happy. Do you currently live together?