PDA

View Full Version : Pregabalin and periods

joanne30
26-12-13, 15:32
I've been on pregabalin now for four months and I haven't had a period this month. I have polycystic ovarian syndrome which I take the Yasmin contraceptive pill for. I've always been regular with my periods until this month. I started taking lyrica instead of pregabalin last week. Is lyrica stronger than the generic pregabalin? I think lyrica might be stronger. I'm seriously thinking of going back on seroxat, because this issue is making my anxiety worse, I was so happy on pregabalin before.
Sorry to be such a nuisance with all my questions.

relda
26-12-13, 16:09
Hi, I've just started on Pregablin. I'm not 100%sure but I think Lyrica & pregablin are 1 and the same. As far as I'm aware there is no generic available which is why it's so expensive. Pfizer hold the licence for another few years.

Hope someone else can help you more.

Mark13
26-12-13, 21:14
To confirm what relda says, there is no generic version of Pregabalin (brand name Lyrica), Pfizer have exclusivity till 2018 at the very least - so your drug hasn't changed.

Maybe your pharmacy supplied them in an unbranded box.

joanne30
26-12-13, 21:27
I was supplied with a bottle that said pregabalin on it, not lyrica, and it wasn't Pfizer that made it. I'm confused, though it does'nt take much to confuse me. I've definitely decided to come off pregabalin and go back on seroxat. I'm really getting stressed out about my lack of menstural cycle. I'm hoping that the withdrawal symptoms won't be too bad as I've only been on pregabalin for four months. Should I speak to my gp first or can I withdrawal from it by myself?

hanshan
27-12-13, 04:08
I did a search on generic pregabalin, and came up with this information from 2012:

"Two weeks ago I told you that the FDA approved a generic version of LyricaŽ (pregabalin) made by Lupin Limited, but I wasn't able to find out when it might actually be available on the market. Now I know why I couldn't find that information. Apparently Lupin was awaiting a court decision as to whether or not on Pfizer Inc.'s patents for Lyrica were valid.

That decision came down last Thursday, July 19, 2012. Judge Gregory M. Sleet of the U.S. District Court of Delaware upheld the validity of Pfizer's patents for Lyrica, giving them exclusive rights to the medication until December 30, 2018. In addition, Judge Sleet ordered the FDA to stop approving generic forms of pregabalin until Pfizer's patents expire."

Full article at: http://www.healthcentral.com/chronic-pain/c/5949/154810/court-generic?ic=506048

This refers to patents held in the US, but I assume Pfizer has similar patents worldwide.

Of course, Pfizer can market "generic" pregabalin, if it wants to. Some drug companies do this to block out competition when other generics arrive on the market. The main point is that the active ingredient and its strength have to be identical to the brand name product for all generics.

blue moon
30-12-13, 07:23
You are spot on hanshan.