PDA

View Full Version : GRRRR Disruptive Sleep...AGAIN!

Shivmarie
27-12-13, 12:16
Disrupted night again.
I'm falling to sleep and BAM I wake up with a chocking sensation and I feel like I'm gasping for breath, I have to constantly swallow to feel like I'm breathing right. Three nights this week this has happened now around 3-4 times each time and I'm shattered. I don't think there is a trigger as such well apart from each night I'm like "oh is this going to happen again" I don't know what it is but its a pain to say the least then this morning i feel like ive got air stuck in the back of my throat. Any tips? x

*Fallen Angel*
27-12-13, 14:34
Anxiety about it makes you more aware so it could be that. I get it sometimes, just as I'm about to fall asleep. I'm sure it's sleep apnea in my case though as I need to lose a fair bit of weight. Have you seen your dr about it?

rb1978
27-12-13, 14:52
I have this from time to time. At one point it was getting bad...multiple times a night and I was struggling to wake up. At the time I was on two types of medication which both had a sedating effect. ... It was causing me to not wake up until I was on the verge of choking. I got taken off one of the meds and it stopped happening so much. Now I just get it now and again but I wake up in time. My doc told me that your body will wake you up if it feels it can't breathe properly so not to worry about that.

I think it can be caused by sleep apnoea if you are quite overweight. My Dr ran through some diagnostic questions with me and ruled that out in my case. I think it can also be caused by good old anxiety. I know a few people who have it and they all suffer from anxiety.

Shivmarie
27-12-13, 18:03
Well i'm a tiny size 6, lol. I don't weigh very much atall but i was wondering if it was slight sleep apnoea but i dont or havent ever snored and i know thats a big symptom isn't it?
My doctor will fob me off with the anxiety speel i know that much i hate it because all day ive been focused on my breathing and now my chest is tight. Grrr. People suggesting it may be reflux too? gosh i dont know but its really annoying me today and is making me feel anxious xx