PDA

View Full Version : have you ever received help by the unknown

I'mdave27
27-12-13, 12:21
I'm just wondering if anyone has ever turned to spiritual stuff for belp with anxiety ? For reasons I can't explain I'm really getting into doreen virtue. I'm really interested in her angel therapy book & meditation cd , it looks calming , but I'm not sure if this will work. Have you tried it for anxiety and depression ?

HoneyLove
27-12-13, 13:15
Meditation is highly recommended for anxiety as it has a very calming effect on the nervous system. There have been studies that show even as little as 10 minutes a day can have a positive effect on both physical and mental health.

It would be a good idea for you to give this guided meditation a go, but you need to do it daily to start noticing a benefit in your life. It won't work on a once off basis.

Understand that in this meditation it's not angels healing you, it's the very real physical effect of relaxation on your body and mind.

I'mdave27
27-12-13, 14:13
When you say heal , do you mean heal my anxiety for good ?

HoneyLove
27-12-13, 14:40
Dave I think you need to read my post again, I said that this *is not* healing.

What this meditation (or any meditation) will do is kick your parasympathetic nervous system into action, which will help you feel calmer and more able handle stress. It doesn't heal anxiety for good, but it will help you feel better if done on a regular basis.

It can be an important part of good mental health.

I'mdave27
27-12-13, 15:50
So doreen virtue is wrong in saying we are surrounded by guardian angels all the time ?

HoneyLove
27-12-13, 16:08
I don't know if Doreen Virtue is wrong or right, that's her spiritual belief, just like any other kind of faith.

But you're missing my point, I'm saying the benefit of meditation is a good thing and you should definitely give it a try. It's a great tool for anxiety relief. Just don't expect that angels will heal you, instead learn the power of your own mind to help you get better.

Rennie1989
27-12-13, 17:29
No-one can really tell you for sure if spirituality works or not, because it's different for different people. But I believe turning to faith or spirituality for a cure is wrong, because only YOU can heal yourself, not a supernatural being. But that is my beliefs.

Like HoneyLove said, meditation is great for relaxation, whether you're spiritual or not.

I'mdave27
27-12-13, 17:35
I understand what you are saying but I don't think it's wrong , not in my opinion. What's wrong with turning to spiritual beliefs to heal oneself ? I probably could heal myself but the route of doing it myself feels like a lonely road with no sunshine and I quite like spiritual stuff , I find it comforting. This world is so cruel it's become all about money , only getting what you can out of people etc now I know this is just my opinion but I can really feel myself getting on to something with spiritual beliefs

HoneyLove
27-12-13, 17:51
There's absolutely nothing wrong with spiritual beliefs, and I know I've read somewhere about studies that show people with a faith are often happier than those with no beliefs. I think it's a good thing to explore your own spiritual path, especially if it helps ease anxiety. I'm very interested in spirituality myself.

But don't make the mistake of expecting that any faith will cure you of anxiety, if it was that easy then there wouldn't be thousands of anxiety sufferers across the globe.

If anything faith is a tool for you to help yourself. Doreen Virtue will teach you the same principle, she'll say that the angels will help you to help yourself. The meditation from her is a great anxiety tool, but just don't use it expecting a miraculous healing!

Volvoman50
27-12-13, 18:03
Faith is good to give you faith in yourself which will assist you in recovery. There is nothing wrong with any spiritual beliefs; but have faith in yourself too! meditation is good as is acceptance. Look after yourself.

inCOGnito
27-12-13, 18:58
So doreen virtue is wrong in saying we are surrounded by guardian angels all the time ?

Only you could possibly answer that for yourself. Spirituality isn't all about angels. Spirituality in a very real sense is the journey for truth. There are many many people out there and spirituality has taken on many different dimensions and faces. There is nothing wrong with investigating these things for yourself. Only you will be able to say what is true and what isn't. In the case of guardian angels, spirituality is all about the bigger picture. This is because the mind is limited (it basically is all about thought and analysis) and reality/life is much more than the mind's interpretations of it. Guardian angels are just another interpretation of what is beyond mind. Personaly I don't buy it because I've never seen any evidence if angels, in experience or in logic. But if it's an avenue you want to explore then explore it and be your own source of answers.

No-one can really tell you for sure if spirituality works or not, because it's different for different people. But I believe turning to faith or spirituality for a cure is wrong, because only YOU can heal yourself, not a supernatural being. But that is my beliefs

This is a common misinterpretation of spirituality. Spirituality (and a search for truth as opposed to crystals and gimmicks) can force oneself into looking deep within themselves...and that's not always pretty, especially where there is a lot of psychological stuff that needs to be addressed. There are also other aspects of spirituality that can help someone, such as compassion and meditation.

I understand what you are saying but I don't think it's wrong , not in my opinion. What's wrong with turning to spiritual beliefs to heal oneself ? I probably could heal myself but the route of doing it myself feels like a lonely road with no sunshine and I quite like spiritual stuff , I find it comforting. This world is so cruel it's become all about money , only getting what you can out of people etc now I know this is just my opinion but I can really feel myself getting on to something with spiritual beliefs

It's up to you to try what you want. If you feel drawn to it then explore that. Both Tara Brach and Gangaji are two spiritual teachers who are very knowledgable and comforting. Tara Brach is very good for the western seeker as she has a psychology/psychotherapist background and is funny and light hearted in her approach.

Rennie1989
27-12-13, 19:25
inCOGnito, I used to be spiritual myself. It did help me to learn more about myself and learning to forgive and move on. My only concern are those seeking spirituality solely for a cure, which is dangerous as it may not give people the fulfillment or answers they want.