PDA

View Full Version : Omeprazole question

jillyb
28-12-13, 17:05
After taking ranatidine for a week, which did nothing, I have been taking omeprazole 40mg for just over a week. When will it start working? so fed up and extremely anxious that it's not working. Still very acidy, nauseous and bubbly tummy and acid reflux at night. Burning tummy, particularly after eating, sometimes straight away and sometimes a couple of hours later. Stopped taking the gaviscon as I thought it was making me more nauseous, but have had to take it today. Doc wants to see me again next week if it hasn't settled and I am very very frightened. Thanks.

Chester
28-01-14, 23:42
After taking ranatidine for a week, which did nothing, I have been taking omeprazole 40mg for just over a week. When will it start working? so fed up and extremely anxious that it's not working. Still very acidy, nauseous and bubbly tummy and acid reflux at night. Burning tummy, particularly after eating, sometimes straight away and sometimes a couple of hours later. Stopped taking the gaviscon as I thought it was making me more nauseous, but have had to take it today. Doc wants to see me again next week if it hasn't settled and I am very very frightened. Thanks.

It took about a week for it to kick in for me but I take it alongside Gaviscon.

It doesn't prevent heartburn and acid (at least for me) but it does help me greatly manage the 'aftermath'.

DEREKG
11-02-14, 01:09
I take 20mg of Omeprazole daily. I get awful heartburn and like Chester, I still occasionally need to supplement it with "immediate" relief such as ant-acids or even bicarb but it definitely helps. Even when I've forgotten a dose, I can usually tell from the frequency of the "burn" and I realise I forgot to take it lol. I can't recall how long it took to have a difference but it worked way better than Ranitidine for me so stick with it, Jilly and see how you get on. I know it's easier said than done but don't be scared. I'd say of all the meds mentioned on this site, it's pretty harmless with no real side effects to note.

LucyR
11-02-14, 01:21

Yes me too this omeprazole doesnt seem to be working for me either, burning feeling, nausea, I don't think it is going to work for me either.

Berkboston
12-02-14, 23:34
Hi There,
I also take Omeprazole with not a lot of relief. It was suggested to me (not by a doctor, though) to take my omeprazole in the morning and take a pepcid (OTC famotadine) before bed.

Magic
13-02-14, 12:03
My hubby has taken omeprazole for years from GP.no problems.
I take zantac 2 at night with no problems from GP