PDA

View Full Version : I just can't do this anymore

Kmccluskey
29-12-13, 03:18
after adopting a new attitude towards my anxiety and trying to get on with life I have failed again. I have faced my fears and they have won. I am also beginning to doubt that panic attacks are my problem..again. throughout Xmas I have been getting the weird heart pains again and especially after eating "fatty foods". I also have heart pain in cold weather and sometimes at rest. but tonight was horrible , I had the beast chest pains, ignored them . then I was on my laptop and out of nowhere this horrible feeling swept over me, something new, it was like I had froze , my heart had just froze and everything slowed down , I gelt really weak and just , well, I can't really describe it fully , but it was wrong. overwhelming would be an understatement. I had the phone ready for 999. but I sat up still feeling a bit dodgy breaking out in a weird rash aswell on my arms neck and face. it settled down for a bit. anyone had anything like this ?. this coupled with recent angina like symptons have just demoralised me and I am exhausted , left feeling hopeless and that my death is inevitable . I'm 22 years old and everyone thinks I have anxiety, I'm not so sure anymore . I just don't know where to turn and what to do. I suppose I'm asking for some help guys.

Kieron

TooMuchToLiveFor
29-12-13, 03:36
Hi, Kieron,
What an awful feeling night you've had!
By any chance have you read "Hope and Healing for Your Nerves" by Claire Weeks? I just read it, and I think you would benefit greatly from it. Every symptom you describe is discussed. When I read it I felt as if I couldn't have been described more perfectly myself.

I know you are weary, but you will be okay! Please consider getting that book. I really think it will help you.

Fishmanpa
29-12-13, 04:35
Kieron,

I'm truly sorry you're having such a rough time. You've read some of my posts and know that I don't pull punches. This will be no exception. I've reviewed your posts from the beginning and this has been an ongoing issue for quite some time. If indeed you had serious heart issues, you wouldn't be here posting as you'd be in a hospital.

In reviewing the posts, you've been reassured many times, by myself included, that what you're experiencing is anxiety related. A ECG/EKG has shown no issues and your doctors are attributing this to anxiety which indeed causes heart/chest symptoms.

In your Oct. 10th post you said: "Yeah I have seen a doctors and have counselling appointments booked, I missed the first two counselling sessions because of the anxiety though."

I believe I know the answer to this question but have you started? Do you feel the meds have been helping at all? If not, have you discussed this with your GP and/or therapist?

Let me ask you this...If indeed you were diagnosed with a heart problem or a serious physical illness by a medical professional, would you believe the diagnosis? Why, if a medical professional is diagnosing you with anxiety (which is a serious illness) would you not believe it? If you were diagnosed with a serious physical illness would you not seek treatment? Why then, wouldn't you seek treatment for your anxiety?

You've asked for advice and help before and everyone has advised seeking treatment for your anxiety. How can I or anyone else help you other than suggest that? This is an internet forum and we're not trained professionals. We can't tell you how to overcome the feelings you're having. Reassurance only goes so far and obviously doesn't work as illustrated in the post history.

I have a son your age. I'm speaking to you as I would to him. Get off your rear end up and go see someone that can help you! If it were my son hurting like this and I got wind of it, I'd drag him kicking and screaming to get help if I had to.

Positive thoughts and good luck

Kmccluskey
29-12-13, 16:34
I think it's got to the extent were I believe so strongly that I have a physical issue that I want it to be picked up so I can focus on the necessary steps to tackle it. the reason I doubt the medical profession is due to the nature of my symptoms and their triggers. for example in cold weather I will feel angina like symptoms, and after a meal I will get heart pains. the nature of the pains scare me and make me feel so wrong. like they don't match the description of panic at times. I understand that I need help and have just restarted my CBT. but there's that niggling feeling that says this isn't a mental issue. my negative thoughts have been brought about by the severe symptoms, I can't help match them to angina. I know I am not a medical profession and I know this is frustrating for everyone involved and I appreciate your time in this matter. I just hate waking up every day thinking I will have a heart attack if I'm not careful.

Kieron

PanchoGoz
29-12-13, 16:50
If I were you Kieron, I would try to make it worse. You know you aren't going to have a heart attack because it's been proven. Sprint up and down the stairs a few times and feel that pain again. It's normal pain, we all have it and you must simply get used to it. It may even be a pulled muscle or indigestion. You don't know what heart pain feels like until you have it.

Kmccluskey
29-12-13, 17:37
I understand but it just matches the description of cardiac pain, like all across chest deep inside, accompanied by light headedness at times. triggered after eating, sometimes exertion and cold weather. that's why I can't see my recovery

Fishmanpa
29-12-13, 18:18
I just don't know where to turn and what to do. I suppose I'm asking for some help guys.

We've all offered our help, logical opinions and suggestions but you can't see or hear them due to your anxiety. It's unfortunate :(

Positive thoughts and good luck to you!

TooMuchToLiveFor
29-12-13, 18:18
I am having the same deep chest pain and light headedness, but I do not suffer from HA (I have severe anxiety/panic), so it is easier for me to accept that these symptoms are all coming from my anxiety. Even though I don't "feel" anxious. The deep chest pains are usually a tightening of the muscles causing painful spasms.
My CBT therapist has me do (As PanchoGoz suggested) things to make my symptoms even worse and then work through them.
I am sorry you are worried, but capture those thoughts and swap them for positive statements. Since you had to cancel your counseling appts due to anxiety- it seems very clear that anxiety is your issue....if you want to feel better (and of course you do!) you have to resolve the anxiety to lose the chest pains. You can do it!

rachelbond
29-12-13, 18:40
hi i too have had a real bad time. i lost my child aged 2 3 years ago and since then have had the anxiety lurgie!!! i sufferd bad chest pain heart palps and shortness of breath on a daily basis... enough was enough i took my self off all medication and starved the anxiety. huge diffrence the heart palps stopped and so did the anxiety. until yersterday i had to attend a&e with chest pain and back pain shortness of breath and high blood pressure. i had blood work done all normal i had a chest xray all normal. ionic magnesium is the way forward. i had a few irregularties in my ecg but was discharged as all blood work was normal. now i need help to sleep as heart palps and chest tightness keeps me awake anyone got any ideas id be so grateful.:)

Kmccluskey
29-12-13, 19:06
thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it. I have my second CBT lesson next Monday. there was a point when I accepted my anxiety was causing hypochondria and all sorts of things but then the triggers of the pain made me doubt. reading symptoms online hasn't helped me at all, it made me think I have angina. it's just horrible when your scared to eat your diner , go outside in the cold or exercise due to the fear of heart disease. I'm behaving worse than people who are actually ill. but then my thoughts tell me I am ill and nobody knows. ��.. thanks again.

---------- Post added at 19:06 ---------- Previous post was at 19:03 ----------

aswell at times, I just have a gut feeling that something is wrong,I suppose that's my whole anxiety though

PanchoGoz
29-12-13, 19:48
Where does anxiety live? Your gut!
Your therapist should help you more if they see you are still in doubt, but it's down to you and there's not much we could say to help it seems.

Kmccluskey
29-12-13, 20:38
cool it's just hard because I get the impression people think I make up symptoms. like they are there and they do restrict me. hopefully il get better

PanchoGoz
29-12-13, 20:50
Explain how they restrict you

Kmccluskey
29-12-13, 22:12
OK sometimes I'll have a Neal and a couple of hours after that meal I'll have a bad chest pain , like crushing and deep. Also if I'm out in the cold I feel chest discomfort and sometimes if I exert myself a bit. Like even little things ,/ I just feel off and weak. And sometimes out of nowhere I'll get light headed and feel really warm and off. Last night for example, just on my laptop and boom felt like something was wrong and felt fullness in the chest area. I wasn't even hyoerventilating, and the nature of the pain is suspect for me. I always thought anxiety pain was sharp and localised,/ not felt everywhere. Its a combination of triggers and the type of pain that leads me to believe angina. I know I'm only 22 and its unlikely but the symptoms suggest otherwise.

PanchoGoz
30-12-13, 00:06
That is by no means restricting. You still do all the things you do normally. I don't think you're making them up but I believe anxiety is magnifying something that would otherwise be small. I have often had very painful wind that has hurt at heart point of my chest but it's just indigestion. I would have described that as very painful, but not angina. The feeling that something is wrong is nothing other than anxiety and so is the light headedness and change in temperature, you are making more of it than there is associating one thing with the other. It's amazing how the mind can do that.

Kmccluskey
30-12-13, 00:37
I understand what u mean but whenever food, cold weather and the odd time , exertion, triggers chest pain I worry . it's the nature of the pain and it's triggers that now dominate my mind .

---------- Post added at 00:37 ---------- Previous post was at 00:29 ----------

thank you for your input tonight guys. means a lot

Cú Chulainn
30-12-13, 00:49
''then I was on my laptop and out of nowhere this horrible feeling swept over me, something new, it was like I had froze , my heart had just froze and everything slowed down , I felt really weak and just , well, I can't really describe it fully , but it was wrong. overwhelming would be an understatement.''

Personally, That sounds very much like the panic attacks I used to have.
Sounds a bit like derealiazation that I used to experience with panic attacks.
Nothing to worry about it though.
As others have said its most likely anxiety not angina.
Have you spoken to your GP recently about this.

Kmccluskey
30-12-13, 01:28
yeah I have told them, yeah it sounds a little like derealistation , who knows. there was like a pressure in my chest aswell, I can't fully describe it, it's hard. and my GP just tells me to treat the anxiety. what does derealistation feel like ?. in your experience my friend?

Mam
30-12-13, 01:41
Please help me I'm a mother to 3 kids suffer with gad am on meds for years and now it's all back muscle weakness dizziness diarrhea vomiting confusion baby talk complete fear can't hear what people are saying to me help please

---------- Post added at 01:41 ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 ----------

Anybody here

Kmccluskey
30-12-13, 01:47
I'm here , your gonna be ok. just breathe

Cú Chulainn
30-12-13, 02:19
Mam : If those meds were working for you before chances are chances are they will keep working for you.
Its just a relapse. It'll pass in time.

Kmccluskey
Derealization is a combination of physical sensations, emotions, and thoughts which lead you to feel so disengaged from your surroundings that you wonder whether or not you're actually in your body. Some people experiencing this symptom may fear that they're actually someplace else, watching their body sleepwalk through life while they float around in some kind of spirit world.
It mostly happens when your really panicking
Some people get mild to severe cases of this.
It sounds bad buts its harmless.
Are you at the moment treating your anxiety?

Kmccluskey
30-12-13, 03:46
I have CBT set up ATM. I'm sick of this though. I'm sick of it, everyday I wake up and think I'm dying . I can't eat exercise or do anything to enjoy life without getting angina like pains. I've had enough now. I've simply run out of words.

Cú Chulainn
30-12-13, 04:06
I your CBT online based?
Has your GP prescribed meds for the anxiety?

Kmccluskey
30-12-13, 20:23
I'm on propanolol and my CBT is with a counsellor

TooMuchToLiveFor
21-01-14, 04:44
Hey! Just wondering how you are doing, and the CBT is going?

Kmccluskey
21-01-14, 04:57
hey, not great to be honest . CBT is ok but I'm still getting the angina like pains and am convinced I have heart disease. recently if cannot handle any cold weather. feel so awful at times. don't know what to do to be honest

mollys
21-01-14, 08:30
Hi Kmcc, Will you go to your doctor please!and take the advise that "Fishmanpa " gave you ,he is so right. All your symptoms are cased Anxiety and can be mended.
But you must take the first step, we can only advise you so now its up to you to help you ok ! .:hugs:

jcd_gad
21-01-14, 10:11
Hi,

I have to agree with Mollys, go see your Dr... Mine was great I've had a full blood test done testing for everything.... I've also carried out CBT (on NHS).....

I've found meditation and acupuncture *COMPLIMENT* what is available through your Dr....

Unless your Dr says otherwise I would be exercising 3+ times a week. This means getting your heart rate up (obvs check with Dr first).... It sounds weird but it actually helps, during exercise your mind becomes more focused and after once you're re hydrated your body and your mind are much calmer. Trust me....

I would also strongly suggest Tesco sleep easy teabags too!