PDA

View Full Version : Bristol stool chart

Cags48
29-12-13, 16:02
I suffer with health anxiety mostly bowel related but I looked on the Bristol stool chart and I'm a number 2 and it says this is dangerous I've got myself in a right tis now does anyone else suffer with number 2

Fishmanpa
29-12-13, 16:20
Holy Crap! Literally!

I never knew anything like this existed! This has to be the ultimate in poo threads! An actual chart with pictures to compare your poo with! You can even buy a Bristol Stool Chart Coffee Mug!

So I had to look this up.... A #2 (ironically) is due to organic constipation and associated with IBS which (ironically) is associated with anxiety. Nothing a little fiber or prunes can't fix ;)

Positive thoughts

Jacsta
29-12-13, 16:31
Might mean you are a bit constipated...look at your diet and make sure there is fibre and you're drinking plenty. If it continues see your doctor

unsure_about_this
29-12-13, 17:39
I don't think or cannot remember visiting this site about poop. I know I have mention worrying about bowel cancer etc.

Althea
29-12-13, 17:44
I'm not seeing any version of the Bristol Stool Chart that lists #2, even #2 #2, as "dangerous." It may mean you're a bit constipated.

Or it may mean nothing at all--the Bristol Stool Chart has had its usefulness pretty strongly challenged.

cpe1978
29-12-13, 17:47
Seriously, the point at which you start comparing poo to a colour chart is either the moment you adopt a rather modern approach to interior decor or the time that you really need to focus on anxiety. I can only imagine what a GP would say if you were to turn up and announce you were a number 2.

Presumably as you are concerned, you have visited the GP, discussed your concerns and they, subsequently are not concerned. The challenge with anyone with HA is accepting when something is most likely not wrong, rather than assuming the worst is.

Of course the worst can happen but you can't waste your life assuming that it will. Leave the medical profession to the stool analysis and focus on the things you are qualified in ;)

Fishmanpa
29-12-13, 18:01
I don't know about anyone else but I still want the mug! So after my morning coffee does it's magic, I'll know what number I am :)

With all due respect Cags, I know I'm making a little light of this but CP, Althea and the others are right. You really should consider shifting your focus from you brown matter to your grey matter and your anxiety.

http://pim.cpcache.com/product/532666188/bristol_stool_chart_large_mug.jpg?side=b&height=260&width=260&qv=90

RoseEve
29-12-13, 18:38
I've often visited this site...unfortunately. The texture of stool does not indicate cancer.

Cags48
30-12-13, 11:33
I suffer so my anxiety it's untrue sadly it's ruined my life

Fishmanpa
30-12-13, 12:21
I suffer so my anxiety it's untrue sadly it's ruined my life

Cags,

There are many here taking positive steps to change that. Are you doing anything to help treat your anxiety?

Positive thoughts

Cags48
30-12-13, 12:42
What can I do ? This morning I went to the toilet had a BM and there was some blood in the toilet so now I'm in a complete tis I can feel my heart beating in my chest my anxiety is so high ,

Fishmanpa
30-12-13, 12:46
What can I do ? This morning I went to the toilet had a BM and there was some blood in the toilet so now I'm in a complete tis I can feel my heart beating in my chest my anxiety is so high ,

As many have done, CBT (There's a free on-line course here), therapy, meds or a combination of such is a start. BTW... based on your chart, #2 means you don't eat enough fiber and you probably have a fissure or a hemorrhoid from pushing. Bright red blood, while it can be distressing, is not serious.

Positive thoughts

Cags48
30-12-13, 12:48
Do you have any links to the online CBT ? My doctor is useless and won't help me just keeps sending me for tests I'm to anxious to go for .

Fishmanpa
30-12-13, 13:20
Here you go Cags.... It's really good. I don't have anxiety and I'm using it!

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=91696]

Positive thoughts

Tanner40
30-12-13, 13:27
Cags, Fishmanpa is so right. This online CBT course is really excellent. It's helped me a lot.

debs71
30-12-13, 15:55
Oh yes, the good old Bristol stool chart.

I remember first encountering this as a student nurse and sniggering. I couldn't believe there was an actual poo type chart with pictures and all.

I never actually ever referred to poo according to this chart in 12 years as a nurse, and nor did any other nurse I know of. We would just describe poo as 'runny' or 'hard' or by some other adjective!

I also cannot see that type 2 is a cause for concern. It just is hard, small poo, which is more likely to mean constipation or impacted/solid poo which is hard to shift.

I get this regularly, as I have IBS and have to strain to poo a lot of the time (sorry for TMI) I have also had blood in my poo, but this is understandable if constipated, as you can tear the lining of the anus when straining too much, so entirely links in with the poo type.

I have to agree with others here, that it would be far better to deal with the anxiety that is driving you to compare your poo to this chart than anything else. I would bet you have nothing to be worried about.xx

Cags48
31-12-13, 10:47
Thank you so much for your replies and thanks for the link to the CBT , I have to do something , I've been this morning and didn't have the blood still very anxious but today I'm going to read through the CBT thing (((((hugs to all))))))

paul80
31-12-13, 11:35
Hi Cags48. I've just gone through a period where I thought I had colon cancer and so was giving my stools great scrutiny. I don't know about yours, but mine show great variation! As others have said, bright blood in stools is more likely a sign of piles, straining or a fissure.

debs71
31-12-13, 20:45
Just to add, in my experience with weird poo, the only one that really may be of concern (usually) is really whacky poo like white poo or thick, sticky poo that looks like black tar. 'Tarry stools' are the major ones you need to see a Doctor about quick smart.

Annie0904
31-12-13, 20:54
I can't believe I am reading a poo thread whilst eating a bowl of trifle :D
Mine changes from day to day (poo not trifle).

Fishmanpa
31-12-13, 20:58
I can't believe I am reading a poo thread whilst eating a bowl of trifle :D
Mine changes from day to day (poo not trifle).

Nothing like a poo thread to give you the shits and giggles ~lol~
Helps with the digestion as well (I read that on Google). There was one earlier that had statistics! I read that whilst having some coffee in my Bristol Stool Chart Coffee Mug! ;)

Positive thoughts

Annie0904
31-12-13, 21:24
I have to say that on looking at the chart with my ibs I probably have 1-7 at various time during a week :)

swajj
01-01-14, 02:06
I've visited that site too. For what it's worth my doctor told me to worry if it's black or the colour of clay (greyish) he made sure that he added the greyish part because he knew that I would go and find clay that is brownish or something and go with that! Lol at fish and that mug. The perfect gift for someone with HA.

Fishmanpa
01-01-14, 02:23
I HAVE to get that mug! :)

Positive thoughts!

Annie0904
01-01-14, 14:25
You can get a tie with it on too Fishmanpa :D