PDA

View Full Version : Kid's TV

teej
29-12-13, 20:22
Okay - this is probably an odd one, and I'm probably joining the bad parent club on this one but does anyone else find children's TV - especially young children's TV brings up horrible feelings of anxiety or even depression due to the fact it's not real people on the TV? I'm okay with adult cartoons for me (Simpsons, Family Guy) but something about the kids ones just fills me with dread and horrible anxiety and my mind just goes into over-drive wondering why our world didn't turn out like the cartoon.

I have two young-un's (2.5 and 3.5 years old) and they both love their TV - Disney Junior and CBeebies - my wife normally put's it on for them whilst we prepare their lunch or evening meal.

They don't get an excess of it - they're both much happier playing in the park, out on walks or playing with their friends but sometimes it's a necessary evil just to get some jobs done around the house.

I find if I'm at home with them now I'll put on a documentary or comedy instead just so I can see some people. Even in the mornings I'll put on GMTV.

Background: ex-drinker, 20mg citalopram and GAD - especially existential anxiety.

Just wondering if it's something from my past and worth mentioning during counselling or something other people have found?

Thanks for your replies. :yesyes:

Rennie1989
29-12-13, 23:19
It could be worth discussing about your own childhood experiences. Maybe there's something unresolved from the past that it causing you distress. That's something you could explore.

teej
30-12-13, 10:18
Thanks Rennie. I thought as much. I have ongoing counselling so I'll find a time to bring it up.

Maybe there's something lurking in the past there.

teej
15-01-14, 13:28
Well for anyone interested, I did bring this up at counselling and the counsellor told me about critical and re-assuring parents creating vulnerable and carefree children respectively.

Since my parents were heavily critical through out most of my young life this all added up.

Certainly gave me a wake-up call on my own parenting skills!