PDA

View Full Version : Pregabalin Update

WembleyBear
29-12-13, 22:26
Hi everyone

Since I haven't posted anything since my doc prescribed Pregabalin in October, thought I'd post an update. He has insisted I move up the dose range only in 25mg increments due to my high sensitivity to meds, so after nearly 3 months I am still only on 100mg twice a day. I've had no direct side-effects at all so far, but neither have I noticed any real benefits. Each time I see him he says it's because I am 'a big guy' (I'm 6 foot 8) but I'm getting disheartened.

Since I stopped the Amitriptiline in October my pain-predominant IBS has kicked off big time, waking me at 2am some days then I lie awake unable to sleep for the anxiety. Doc gave me Peppermint Oil capsules, then Mebeverine for this, has made no difference at all to the IBS pain after 6 weeks. Anxiety now worse than ever but have been listening to my relaxation cd daily seems to help a bit, but generally this type of pain sends me into an anxiety tailspin as you'd expect.

Before I started Pregab I had weird rashes on my lower (below belt line) abdomen, which have now multiplied as well.:mad:

Am back to see him on Tuesday morning so plan to ask to stop Mebeverine, have low dose Amitryptiline for IBS pain, and make a decision on Pregabalin or an alternative (am despairing of ever finding a suitable med for me :weep:).

Martyn :wacko:

hanshan
30-12-13, 06:24
I wouldn't stop pregabalin until you get up to the 400 - 600 mg per day range, particularly with regard to your height (drug concentration decreases as body mass increases). 400 mg per day is regarded as the standard therapeutic dose, but it varies a lot from individual to individual.

Pregabalin can be combined with an AD like amitriptyline, so there is no need to stop pregabalin if you go back on amitriptyline.

Good luck.

WembleyBear
30-12-13, 06:57
Thank you, that's interesting to know. I will see if my doc will let me go to 200mg twice a day in the next month.

Unfortunately, I think I will have to go back on Amitryptiline 10 or 20mg at night for my IBS pain as well but will have to convince him of that!

Let you know how I get on tomorrow.:)