PDA

View Full Version : Wake up with a panic attack

becksfan86
30-12-13, 05:16
hi, I just woke up with a panic attack, I've never experienced one that's came on so suddenly. Feels as though I can not slow my heart rate down. I have come into our spare room to try and calm down, just wondering why I've experienced one out of the blue at night?

cattia
30-12-13, 08:04
This used to happen to me every day for weeks on end durng my most severe anxiety anc it still happens sometimes. It is really common with anxiety, I've read about it on here lots. I think your subconscious mind is mulling over your anxiety while you sleep. I used to wake up every day with my heart racing and my arms tingling and heavy like lead. It was always one of the worst symptoms of anxiety for me, it used to happen at about 5am and then I'd be awake for the day. Remember though, it's just the effects of adrenaline, it can't hurt you.

HoneyLove
30-12-13, 09:02
I used to have what I thought were panic attacks in the middle of the night, but in the end it just turned out it was bad acid reflux that shot my heart rate up when I was lying down in bed. Because my heart was suddenly pounding in the middle of the night I went into a state of panic and made it worse! Now that I understand it, if it happens I don't worry about it, I just work on getting my reflux back to normal again.

It might not be what's happening to you, but it's worth considering.

curly63uk
30-12-13, 21:18
I used to suffer from this all the time and i really do understand what your going through.Having those attacks all night then having to get up at 5 was no joke. But now i seem to cope with it and try and ignore it knowing its not life threatening and that i made it through all those nights i now don't suffer from them.I suffer from other things instead.lol. Hope you do manage to take control of it soon.....

cymraig_chris
30-12-13, 21:33
It's only a panic attack if you call it one, it's only fear if you call it fear. Panic, fear and anxiety are chemically no different from excitement, the emotion is produced in exactly the same way in the body and it effects all the same systems.

Fear is a point of view. A word. A word you have attached a meaning to. Fear is nothing.