PDA

View Full Version : Learning to play the violin

Rennie1989
31-12-13, 13:46
I don't know if it's because a character I've created for my novel is a violinist but I've recently become more serious about the idea of learning to play the violin. My husband is a musician himself, he can play an array of electric guitars as well as his beloved accoustic. He loves the idea of me playing the violin and already has idea of us performing as a duet or part of a band.

He told me to have a look at violins online. I plan to get a cheap one at first encase it is not for me. But when searching for violins there are 1/4, 2/4, 3/4 and 4/4 sizes, as well as other little bits that have blown over my head.

Does anyone here play or know someone who plays the violin who may be able to point me in the right direction? I will look for someone to give me violin lessons and buy some DVDs but I need advice on what kind of violin to buy and other accessories.

Thanks in advance :)

Annie0904
31-12-13, 18:10
One of my friends is a music teacher...I will ask him.

---------- Post added at 18:10 ---------- Previous post was at 18:03 ----------

Okay he says you will need a full size Violin as the others are for children. I remember when my daughter was about 7 she had a 3/4 one.

Edie
01-01-14, 15:32
You might be best contacting a violin teacher first. They may have a violin you would use in your lessons at first, but they will probably be the best person to ask for advice on buying one. Another option is hiring, as you can have some time to decide whether it's for you before you invest in one.

Rennie1989
03-01-14, 10:50
Thank you for your help :)

mikewales
03-01-14, 11:34
You will need a full size one. Probably the best plan is to buy a good quality second hand one from Ebay, then at least if you don't get on with it, you can sell it again for what you paid.

Violin is pretty hard to play though, so expect a long time of sounding like a dying cat before it gets musical !

ElizabethJane
05-01-14, 15:52
Dear Rennie I don't agree with Mike. The last place to be looking for a musical instrument is ebay. I work in a music shop and we see many instruments brought in for repair because they were bought on ebay. We sell second hand violins at £65.00 and a new instrument would be about £100. If you buy from a reputable music shop they can set up the violin for you and check the bridge, and strings and make sure there is enough rosin on the bow otherwise the instrument will be unplayable. My boss has a cello in at the moment and the finger board is adrift. This instrument was bought cheaply on ebay and it will cost a lot more to put it right. It just isn't worth it. Stentor do good basic student violins. Sadly not many music services will hire out to adults. If you can find one that does then try them. I'll send the details of our shop via a pm if you are anywhere near Essex. EJ

Rennie1989
05-01-14, 17:51
Thanks again.

ElizabethJane - I'm moving to Kent so Essex is a little broad. Anywhere in Canterbury or Ashford would be a bonus, if you know.