PDA

View Full Version : any anxiety sufferers taking escitalopram or diazepam?

Jessica.rabbit
31-12-13, 16:10
I have been suffering with anxiety now for a few weeks and my doctor has prescribed me escitalopram. I was taking 5 mg but in the last few days my anxiety has intensified and my GP has increased my dose to 10mg. I'm having some horrific symptoms - palpitations, sweating and headaches and am hoping that the tablets will start to take effect soon! Is anyone else using this medication. I have also been given some 2mg diazepam but am scared to take these.

phil6
01-01-14, 12:35
Jessica,
It is very common to get side effect like yours for the first few weeks. If it carries on for longer then go back to your GP. SSRIs do not suit everyone and you may consider others to find the right one for you.
As far as Diazepam goes, use it for emergencies. Try to stick out the anxiety but if it gets too much then these will give you a break.
2mg is a low dose and you would be needing to take these regularly for over a couple of weeks before they would be causing any addiction problems.
Phil

Cú Chulainn
01-01-14, 20:48
Hi Jessica
Dont worry those side effects are so common with SSRI's.
Mine lasted for about a month but for some lay can last for 6 weeks.
Remember that every time you up the dose the side effects will return.
Hope you find some relief soon!
Oh and have you read this page
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=53
There's also a Diazepam page
Hope it helps

jayjoe18
02-01-14, 15:13
Hi Jessica, I'm taking 5mg of Escitalopram and I'm on week 8 now. Slowly I am starting to see positive effects and will probably be upping to 10mg shortly. Do hang in there it will get easier for you! x