PDA

View Full Version : I've done it again

I'mdave27
01-01-14, 11:14
I've got a hangover today and I haven't had one in month's , since August. However I'm not a good hangover person because my anxiety really intensifies and I get really weird thoughts it happens to others I know but it drives me insane , I think I may be going insane. I'm sat here paranoid that I've done something really bad , even though I remember the night , i'm also paranoid that someone is after me. I have no idea why I do this to myself because I know I'm a bad hangover person and i have tried to quit booze but I get hypoglycaemia as well as really bad cravings , i'm not addicted i know that. However I keep having suicidal feelings and thoughts but I won't do anything because im not that type. Please help me I feel like a vulnerable child who wants a cuddle and to be told everything is going to be fine

lizzie29
01-01-14, 11:40
It will be fine. Rationally you know it's due to the hangover. Do what you can to get rid of that - eat plenty, lots of water, fresh air... It's not nice but I'm sure you'll feel a lot better tomorrow.

craigj1303
02-01-14, 16:03
Hi Dave

I've been exactly the same after loads of booze! I seem to be OK on 2-3 pints, but if I go out on a real bender anytime with the lads, for a birthday or a stag do or something where we end up drinking shots and shorts, my anxiety levels shoot through the roof, usually for a couple of days after. My sleep is affected as well for the next couple of nights I wake up panicing.

At the moment, I am trying to ascertain whether it is purely the alcohol causing my anxiety, or whether it is me anticipating that the alcohol will give me anxiety that is bringing it on. I have started to think more along the lines of my anticipation I will be anxious, and memories of being anxious after alcohol in the past fuels it.

Craig

Fishmanpa
02-01-14, 16:30
Dave,

Sorry but no sympathy from me. I've seen posts like this time and time again. You and everyone else on this forum should know better!!

Anxiety and booze DO NOT MIX!

Next time think about it before you lift that glass.

Positive thoughts

I'mdave27
04-01-14, 13:18
I know that anxiety doesn't mix alcohol but for me alcohol is the only thing to instantly relieve my anxiety...I'm only human

Tanner40
04-01-14, 13:31
Hi Dave. You have to ask yourself if the short term payoff od instant relief is worth the setback and paranoid type of hangover that lasts for a few days. As much as I love a couple of drinks, I've found that the more I avoid alcohol, the better I feel.

Rennie1989
04-01-14, 14:19
We recognise that you are only human but you need some self control. I have awful anxiety and I rarely go to the bottle for a relief (I did that back when I was very unwell, not since) because I know it won't make anything better in the long run. Try other methods, talking therapy, medication, herbal medication, distraction techniques, breathing techniques, meditation, anything other than alcohol.

I'mdave27
04-01-14, 14:29
That's why I drink the alcohol because I find nothing helps

Rennie1989
04-01-14, 15:07
Then my help ends here. I'm sorry but people have told you time after time that alcohol is bad for your physical and mental health. If you refuse to accept this then people will stop helping you.

I'mdave27
04-01-14, 15:32
You do know that sounds kind of harsh. It's not my fault that I can't get a grip on my head problems that is why I do have head problems after all because I can't get to grips with this , i'm not even being funny.

littlebutterflygb
04-01-14, 16:17
Bizarrely enough Dave, I kinda agree with you and see where you are coming from.

I don't drink as a rule - in fact, when my anxiety was at its worse, I never drank alcohol or coffee or anything I thought maybe a stimulant (red bull, caffeine drinks like cola etc) for 10 years. I can't honestly say if it made a difference or not.

Due to recent bad circumstances, I started drinking wine. I had been to the Doctors to ask for sedatives and was told I couldn't have those as they are addictive and I felt so bad inside and had a knot in my stomach that was unbearable and that I felt unable to accept (despite the Mindfulness and talk therapy) and was desperate to make 'go away' if only for a short time.

So I drank some wine and, because I'd not drunk in so long, it only took half a glass to relax me and I got some relief from that terrible feeling. I told the Doctor that I'd started to drink wine and she didn't seem bothered at all. Okay, I still drink a lot less than most people - about 4 glasses a week - as I'm not used to it and it works quickly. But I am aware that I started drinking and for the stupidest of reasons - I couldn't get sedatives. The irony is not lost on me that I couldn't get sedatives because they're addictive, but no-one is much bothered that I'm self - sedating with alcohol. Terrific joke, isn't it?

I'mdave27
04-01-14, 17:20
It is a joke but not in the 'LOL' kind of way. When I'm on my way home from work , which has been happening a lot lately , I will be reading my book then out of nowhere I get this feeling where I feel hot , sweaty , panicky , i feel I'm going to throw up , go mad and do something I'll regret. This is all because I'm craving alcohol because I know this relieves me instantly and yes I'm like you I don't drink everyday or every weekend