PDA

View Full Version : Still really stressing over stomach

jillyb
01-01-14, 12:44
I've been on omeprazole for 2 weeks now and it's not working. I still have awful acidity, belching and now pains in my tummy. I have been trying to eat more, and normal foods too but nothing is helping. I am so stressed about it and everyone keeps saying it's my anxiety but I don't think it is. The night before last I had a better night and resolved to stop worrying but then the burping came and last night was bad again. It was my New Years resolution to try and not worry but here I am again in an awful state. I have to see the doctor on Friday and I so hoped it would be better as I am terrified of hospitals/ tests and what they might find. My daughter is expecting soon and, as she nearly died last time, I am anxious about this. More than anything I want to feel well again so that I can support her. My HA was dreadful last year so nobody believes this is serious, apart from me, and it's driving me crazy. As much as I try being positive I can't. Dr prescribed citalopram but I'm not taking it because a) I am scared of meds and b) I googled citalopram and omeprazole and it said major drug interaction! Thanks for reading.

Fishmanpa
01-01-14, 13:25
Jilly,

Happy New Year to you. Sorry you're feeling stressed. You state that your HA was dreadful so you are recognizing that it's causing your physical symptoms yet the HA tries to convince you otherwise. The physical maladies you suffer (stomach issues) are caused by this and yes, they are very real.

The omeprazole should begin to work but you must combine that with proper eating habits as well. Avoid foods or drinks that aggravate your stomach. I understand your fear of taking citalopram but the drug interaction you read about is not common. You should ask your doctor about it on Friday. There are alternatives that may be available. Regardless, you must overcome your fear of meds in order to take steps to get better. Meds, while not a cure all, can help you deal with the symptoms of anxiety while you're working on the root of the problem. Essentially they can get you over the hump.

The key will be to treat the root of the problem with therapy, CBT, meds of a combination thereof. There are many here that have done so. Become part of that group :)

Positive thoughts

Tanner40
01-01-14, 14:10
JillyB, Happy New Year. I take omeprazole and citalopram. The omeprazole really works and helps to keep those stomach acids at bay. I have had no problems with taking the two drugs together. I used to be the Queen of googling medication side effects and it was absolutely one of the worst thing that I could do for myself. I had to learn to trust my physician and my pharmacist and just take what I needed to feel better.