PDA

View Full Version : Oh Let Me Watch Sherlock

littlebutterflygb
01-01-14, 22:24
Well Im trying to watch Sherlock, and I DO want to watch Sherlock, but its all so intense because its meant to be, and the anxiety is rising bad. I'm annoyed with myself and frustrated cos I can't enjoy something I want to enjoy.

Hubby says "we can turn it off if you like" but its such a cop out, isnt it? :mad: and its not fair!!! It's always the bleedin' same and I have to end up going off to listen to a tape or do something else and whilst you might say 'well, thats just the way it is for you' it annoys the crap out of me :mad:

Rant over and probably Sherlock too.

TooMuchToLiveFor
02-01-14, 03:21
It really is frustrating when we let our anxiety dictate whether or not we can enjoy even the simple things in life.

Of course, don't watch it if it makes you feel really miserable, but maybe this will be a helpful little tidbit.....two nights ago when my anxiety was at a really yucky level I had my husband put on a zombie movie. It was actually nice to be feeling the "anxiety feeling" for a real reason for once! Lol. My husband was on the edge of his seat too, so I just focused on that my anxiety was "normal" because I was watching a scary movie. :D

HoneyLove
02-01-14, 16:59
My theory on this is that it's not really anxiety as such, but an intense show like Sherlock will naturally raise adrenaline levels in your body as you get absorbed in the story.

Most people wont have a problem with that, in fact the thrill that people get from those fear hormones is why they like to watch horror movies or ride big rollercoasters lol.

But in people like us who associate the feeling of adrenaline with anxiety it's not such a pleasant thing and we do anything to avoid it, even stop watching a harmless TV show that we usually enjoy.

If you work on your anxiety you'll find that this kind of sensitivity may lessen as you become more relaxed. You can always try a relaxation exercise before watching the show, or a quiet breathing exercise while you're watching it (your husband wouldn't even notice!)

You can also try simply reminding yourself that it's just adrenaline, it's harmless and it *will* fade away in time.

TooMuchToLiveFor
02-01-14, 17:19
Spot on, HoneyLove! Well said!!

Rennie1989
02-01-14, 17:57
My anxiety still dictates what I can and cannot watch. I've learnt that it takes small exposures regularly. I cannot watch anything to do with apocalypses or plane crashes. But in saying that my husband wanted to watch 'United' which is a film about the plane crash that killed most of the Manchester United players, or more famously known as the Busby Babes. I could not watch it at first, but then I started exposing myself to more of the scene that shook me up, now I can watch the whole thing without a problem.

Don't beat yourself up, it's alright :)

littlebutterflygb
03-01-14, 20:29
Thanks for your replies! I did manage (just) to get through Sherlock by 'half watching' it whilst playing Tapped Out on my iPad...not idea, but at least I heard half of it and saw half of it.
The truth of it lies in both answers I feel - it's normal anxiety from adrenaline by watching something intense, which I then started to worry about. But if I'd accepted it as being normal (and exciting) then I wouldn't have added to it or stressed about it!