PDA

View Full Version : Awful stomach pains

BeckyBop
02-01-14, 05:01
hey everyone :)
its erly morning and I am awake with awful tummy pain. It is very bad and worse when laying down. Im sitting up now which seems to help a little. It is very painful though and causing me some anxiety. It is across lower stomach and is even hurting my legs a little. I also find it helps if I fart. What is causing this and what can I do to relieve it?

BexieB
02-01-14, 05:38
Hi Becky

Just thought I'd join you in the insomniac corner. I find a hot water bottle really good for stomach cramps.. Went through a faze of intermittent pain like yours a few years ago.. Got an IBS diagnosis.. The pain always felt like I just needed a good poo, even though I knew there was nothing to poo. Anyway the hot water bottle was by best friend, better than any meds.

I eventually underwent an extensive course of acupuncture with Chinese herbs. Must have went to the Chinese doc for about 9 months. I felt much better after a month, but he recommended I continue to attend.

Anyway having had the IBS for about 7 years the treatment worked. I've haven't had any problems for the last 6 years. It might be worth a go, if you've not had any definite diagnosis.

suzibandit
02-01-14, 05:39
Sounds like a touch of wind to me but i am not a doctor. Get.yoirself some wind eze or deflatine tablets when shops open. Try gently rubbing your stomach in a clockwise direction. This helps yo get things moving.
If things worsen or dont improve then seek help from medical profession. Being a health anxiety sufferer i know thats hard . Hope you feel better soon xx :)

BeckyBop
02-01-14, 05:54
Thank you both for your adviceI went to the loo a few times and feel much better. I was diagnosed witth IBS a while ago and I have always had trouble with anxiety and tummy probleme so I think perhaps it could be IBS what do you think? x

BexieB
02-01-14, 06:20
Have you had the usual investigations associated with ongoing gastro problems.? 'Camera up, camera down':D. If so, there's nothing sinister there. The tummy is one of the primary areas affected by anxiety. When the fight/flight response kicks in the digestive system goes into overdrive. The stomach and bowels try to eject their contents, resulting in nausea, cramping, loose bowels.

IBS is one of those conditions that you have to find your own way with, docs don't know a lot about it.. A bit like anxiety. Before going to the Chinese doc I found that controlling stomach acid, taking a Zantac every day, really helped. This was prescribed by my gastro consultant. It kept symptoms to a minimum but never fully solved the problem.

So glad you're feeling a little better.

Fishmanpa
02-01-14, 12:54
Thank you both for your adviceI went to the loo a few times and feel much better. I was diagnosed witth IBS a while ago and I have always had trouble with anxiety and tummy probleme so I think perhaps it could be IBS what do you think? x

I have a question Becky. You know you have IBS and anxiety (for some time now), why then, when you get symptoms like this, does your mind still think the worse? Wouldn't you just go "Damn....there's that dang` IBS acting up again" and be able to avert the anxiety? I'm interested in the mind set/thought patterns that take place that prevent you from rationalizing it initially. Also, are you currently or have you sought treatment for your anxiety? Thanks :)

Positive thoughts

paul80
02-01-14, 17:14
Yes, anxiety really can mess up your digestive system - as I well know!

BeckyBop
02-01-14, 19:57
Hey Fishmanpa
It wasn't causing me bad anxiety I was able to deal with it very well and just say hey you have had this once before its fine it was just more that it was incredibly uncomfortable and painful :/ I am two waiting lists for counselling have been for agees :/ x

Fishmanpa
02-01-14, 20:05
Hey Fishmanpa
It wasn't causing me bad anxiety I was able to deal with it very well and just say hey you have had this once before its fine it was just more that it was incredibly uncomfortable and painful :/ I am two waiting lists for counselling have been for agees :/ x

Got ya... thanks and good luck!

Positive thoughts