PDA

View Full Version : Quiet by Susan Cain

Polar Bear
02-01-14, 11:15
Just reading a fascinating book called Quiet by Susan Cain (published by Penguin Books). It's about introverts / introversion and the strengths that we process (I'm definitely an introvert).

It's helped me understand myself better so far. I beat myself up about not participating more in large groups discussion for example and this is helping me understand better why. I'm thinking now that whilst maybe I should push myself a little to contribute more I am also doing what we introverts do and that is to listen and seek understanding of things.

The world needs introverts and extroverts. I don't need to feel inferior to those who are naturally more social etc.

Just thought I'd post this as I've found the book really useful so far (I'm about half way through) and think others may also if you get a chance to have a look.

Happy New Year all

Mike

theharvestmouse
02-01-14, 12:10
Sounds interesting, I might look at getting this book. Thanks for the recommendation.

HoneyLove
02-01-14, 13:42
Last year I discovered Susan Cain through a TED talk she did and I began to read a lot about introverts. It totally changed my life and my view on myself, it was mind blowing!

I grew up with this idea that there was something wrong with me, always being told I was anti social and finding myself exhausted by my large family who like to party together a lot. When I discovered that in fact there was nothing at all wrong with me, I just have an introvert brain, suddenly a lot of my personality made sense. The things I had grown to view as faults were suddenly simply a part of my wiring, literally there is nothing wrong with who I am!

It's been a great journey of self discovery and growing more comfortable with who I am :)

You might also identify with Elaine Aaron's work on highly sensitive people, if you google you will find her site. I think a lot of people here would identify with it. And certainly in her books on this topic the advice she gives to HSPs would also benefit anyone suffering with anxiety.

Polar Bear
02-01-14, 14:50
Thanks HoneyLove. I'm starting to understand how this aspect of being introverted and the perceptions it brings has hampered my recovery from anxiety. Already I'm looking at some things differently and can see how you have made sense of things by this journey of self discovery.

I will have a look at Elaine Aaron's work.