PDA

View Full Version : A post for a friend

ReissG
02-01-14, 16:45
This is a long story but I'm going to make it as short as possible, I need some advice asap because I'm either about to make a bad choice or a good choice.

My best friend was sexually molested by her Grandfather growing up from around the age of 5, this lasted until she was 18 and then she finally told her family, they all took her side of course but unfortunately pushed her into things she wasn't ready to deal with, like going to the police and telling doctors so soon, going on medication she didn't want etc.

Anyway for the past few months she's had a few bad moments where she has felt like Suicide was invading her thoughts and one morning she took a load of pills just to calm herself down and so I had to break the silence, I went to her brother and father who at the time came up with the plan that when she was to move back to her original home with them, they would give her an intervention and tell her they are going to help her, to this day now her moving date back with her father and brother keeps getting pushed back and although her break down epiisodes are rare, it still happens. 30th of December she told me she didn't know if she would make it to the new year, luckily she has but without me being there who knows?

I told her brother about it yesterday and he was simply like "she's strong she won't do it" and "it's her actions we can't do anything, when she wants help she will come to us"

2 years ago her brother and father found her completely covered in blood after she sliced her arms to pieces with glass from a broken mirror and despite this they just dont seem to be taking the current problem seriously. I have been thinking now about telling her mother but the problem is her mother is a loud mouth in denial, if I tell her she will think she knows what is best for my friend and rush in there shouting the odds, she won't listen to my advice because she thinks she knows my friend better then anyone, she doesn't know my friend at the moment really hates her because she is just constantly making everything about herself, so she is no mother of the year.

I really don't know what to do, do I leave it as it is and hope my friend will be okay just seeking reassurance from me until she moves back home? Or do I tell her mother and either make things better or a whole lot worse?

I am so stuck and I have my own issues to deal with, god forbid my friend took her own life I couldn't cope with it, I want to do what's best for my own health and hers, but I can't simply give out her secrets to anyone because they might not be taken seriously. My boyfriend and mother say I have done enough by telling her brother and father and that is enough, because it was already so hard for me to do and it's now their job to take it all seriously, do you agree with this?

I just don't know, I don't feel like I'm incontrol of my own life right now, because if I'm not stopping plans to talk to my friend, I'm worried sick I'll lose her.

Help :(

Daisy Sue
02-01-14, 17:01
When it's someone you love, and they're in danger, there is no "done enough" line in my opinion. I know I would do absolutely anything and everything in my power to make things better and safer for any person I care deeply about, no matter what other people thought...

I'm not sure that telling your friend's mother is the best option, to be honest - I think might cause more grief for your friend right now.

Maybe you, or both you and your friend, could seek some outside help, and you could support her with this.. for instance there's Victim Support (link below), and also the Police have their own support professionals for crime victims.

Good luck, it's not an easy road, but if you're willing to take it with her, you'd be doing something wonderful.

https://www.victimsupport.org.uk/help-for-victims/different-types-of-crime/adults-abused-in-childhood

PanchoGoz
02-01-14, 17:10
I'm sorry you are in this situation, it's so hard to know what to do. All I can think is that you must constantly assure her you are there for her should you need her, it's true it is her choice at the end of the day and she needs to find her own way. You don't want to make anything worse so if her mother is likely to put her foot in it mayb it's best not to take the risk and tell her.
People commit suicide if they feel they have nowhere to turn. If you are that place she can turn to, she should be ok. I'm sorry I can't help further.

Annie0904
02-01-14, 18:09
I agree with Daisy Sue that she should contact Victim support for help. She is lucky to have a good friend like you who she can turn to but you need to think of your own health to. Try to persuade her to seek professional support. :hugs::hugs:

Rennie1989
03-01-14, 10:49
I just want to say that you have done a fantastic job. Your friend is very lucky to have someone like you and I wish I did too!