PDA

View Full Version : aargh! the supermarket!!

mick
14-11-06, 15:51
hi folks
what is it about supermarkets? ive come back from morrisons with my wife (too anxious to work today) it can be hell on earth in those places cant it? trolleys bumping in to you, buying things you dont really need, seeing someone you know and hiding behind the frozen peas so you dont have to talk to them,bad lights, finding a car parking space that isnt 3miles away from the store entrance,and then the dreaded checkout thats when you really wanto abandon trolley and leg it out of there LOL:( i bet im not the only who feels like this am i?[8D]
take care
Stressed Mick!

carlin
14-11-06, 16:06
Hi there, you have just described my supermarket trips perfectly. The lights are awful, but you did it mate, so that is good!!! Make a list and only buy what is on it, eat before you go or else you will buy everything in sight if you are hungry, if possible go at a time when things are not as crowded, let your wife push the trolley you sound lethal with it! lol. I always try to have a back up plan, if i am with hubby i always say, would you mind doing the checkout bit if i have to escape, once i know i can get out whenever i want, i tend to be able to manage it! good luck. xxx

mick
14-11-06, 16:17
hi Carlin
good advice m8, im dreading the christmass shop though when people buy 50 loaves of bread etc and it takes 4hours to through checkout ho!h o!ho! cant wait can youLOL[^]
if you dont laugh whats the alternative
Mick

LickeyEndBlues
14-11-06, 16:19
Not in the slightest Mick

When I am really feeling bad and the shopping needs to be done, I go to another supermarket...one that I know but not local.

I also buy into lists..I used to be able to write the list out according to the aisles in the shop...I could have done Mastermind on product placement in Sainsbury a while back.

I tend to pick quieter times, but havent yet had to do it at 3.00am!!

I also buy a treat while I'm at it so when its all packed away I can sit down with the paper and enjoy whatever it might be!! It is usually sticky though!!! (oh for goodness sake behave!!)

Cheers

Iain

Laissez les bon temp roulez

ceecee
14-11-06, 17:10
hi mick yeh thats me down to a tee!!!!
most people in tesco probobly think i,ve won a trolley dash competition!!!!!!LOL
i bet i could break the world record for the fastest shopping trip!!!!!!!
rach x

normalwisdom
14-11-06, 17:22
Think most people feel like this about supermarkets even "the normals" lol.

I only like going to my local one coz I know where everything is, but I am lucky its the getting there that is my problem but I always make sure I get myself a treat when i have done it.....thats what i tell hubby anyway:D I agree about christmas though the shops are shut for one, two days at the most people think they have to stock up for the nuclear fall out![Sigh...].

Then again I used to do that when I got there coz never knew when I would get there again LOL.

At least you did it Mick thats the main thing!

Steph

ksmith
14-11-06, 17:22
I think part of it is over stimulation of the senses. The colours are too bright, too many similar products to choose from, the music is intrusive, the bing bong of staff announcements, smells, crowds, that hunter gatherer instinct of 'get out of my face, I was looking at the cheese first' aggressive feeling!!! (and so on).

When I feel a wobble coming on, I slow everything down. Stand and look at an item, any item, to get my bearings, few deep breaths and then onwards, but slowly onwards. There is such a tendancy to rush around which I believe is all down to the psychology of the supermarket owners, eg., over stimulate them, make them feel rushed and they'll buy more of what they didn't come in for!!!

Failing this, there's always 24 hr shopping!!!

Kay x

mick
14-11-06, 17:26
hi lickey and ceecee
i think this thread is going to be a funny one every one who,s replied has made me laugh,lickey whats with the sticky im intrigued m8? and ceecee i bet you a fiver you couldnt beat me in a shopping dash!
take care you scallywags!
Mick[8D]

yorkylover
14-11-06, 17:38
Hey Mick you have made me giggle today!!!!!!!:D:D:DWe are all here knowing exactly what you mean.Next time we are in a supermarket we will all be thinking about each other,thinking the exact same thing[:P][:P][:P]

Ellen XX

LickeyEndBlues
14-11-06, 18:50
Mick...on the last trip it was a pair of Belgian buns!! It isn't always food as, Norm says though. The shopping list is a great way to hide CDs on the off chance that the supermarket might stock something that I want to get (not often!!)

Kay...I think you are spot on with your comments, sometimes it is real overload and people are in too much of a hurry. Seldom do you get a smile of "hello"!!

Norm...Spot on about Christmas shopping...where on earth do these people put the stuff..and how much is thrown out!! Biggest Crimbo dinner we have had is around 14 folks and no way did we have as much as most of the trollies..or in some cases two trollies.

Iain

Laissez les bon temp roulez

carlin
14-11-06, 19:39
I remember last chrimbo going into next, was having a raging panic/heart attack/stroke etc....knew what i wanted it was only 2 items, rushed around like a headless chicken, as you do, rushed to the cashier, she was having a little laugh and joke, as they do, couldn't wait to get out and celebrate, as WE do....when i left the shop all the alarms went off, mrs. couldn't be bothered to take the tags off, had forgotten to do just that. so i was taken back into the shop whilst it was removed, i was now actually having difficulty breathing/standing (as we do), off i trots again thinking, well done jean...stepped outside the shop and guess what the lovely shop lady who couldn't be bothered to take the tags off had forgotten to remove the other tag too!!!! so off i had to go again, back into the shop? Duh! when i finally was 'released' hubby who was waiting in his cab shouted at me cos i had been such a long time and he nearly got a parking ticket????? ps i am not a professional shop lifter where things went wrong? honestly your honour lol xxx

normalwisdom
14-11-06, 19:56
Oh Carlin what a nightmare thats the sort of thing that happens to me LOL. :D

Steph

dj9928
14-11-06, 20:02
God this thread has made me laugh, It sums me up to a tee, bring back supermarket sweep on TV, I think i'll give it ago, Another thing that annoys me in the likes of Next is when your trying to get in and out as quickly as possible, you get to the checkout and the to checkout staff are standing gossiping and don't careless that your in the middle of a panic attack and just want out as quick as possible

A happy person is fully caught up in the moment --and is not thinking about the past or the future.

ceecee
14-11-06, 20:24
hi mick
bet i could!!!!!
rach x

honeybee3939
14-11-06, 20:54
Hi Mick,

Im another one that dosnt like the big supermarkets, im ok in the little shops ,i have been midnight supermarket shopper for the last year !! lol...Tesco open 24 hours now ! they are good to me !, recently though i have trying to overcome my fear, by doing little steps at a time, i went in tesco last week at a busy time and just got 1 item(soap-powder), tommorrow i am going again and going to try to get a few items, hopefully as the weeks progress i will find it easier.

Try this post it may help:

Supermarkets
WHY SUPERMARKETS ??? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8217)

Love

Andrea
xxx

Insomniac
14-11-06, 21:29
Hi Mick

Oh yeah, supermarkets are a favourite for excitement! Sometimes hubby goes for me. I have not left one for a while, but it can be so tempting and I definitely speed up as I go along.

Also money worries really don't help. I think you posted on that too. I find myself feeling really sick by the time I get half way round, and its partly panic and partly worry about money. Of course the anticipation is worse than the actual thing, but wow its tough some times!
:)[:P]

Lisa.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

mick
01-12-06, 18:36
hi folks
i went to morrissons again with wifey the other day,started getting wound up about the whole parlava,then i remembered this thread i started and started grinning like a cheshire cat the other shoppers must have thought i was a nutter judging by some of the looks i got,but i didnt care because i had a laugh whilst shopping and i thank youlot for that we should make each other laugh as its bloody good therapy for us dont you think?
thank you my friends
not so stressed Mick[8D]

999madmax
02-12-06, 00:29
Mick,
I know exactly how you feel...
It wasn`t so long ago i loved shopping and taking hours. But now i can`t be in town or even supermarkets very long because i get too anxious and panicky, People pushing past no care to the world, The rushing of others and The TILLS - Its unbelieveable when you have to wait in the longest que and as you get to bag your items they open another till!! How annoying. I hate shopping now it makes me think everyone is just watching you and doing just the things you can`t stand etc...
But the best time i like is late night/ early in the morning - really quiet and always a till free; But there are Tesco trolleys everywhere whilst the staff are stocking back up!!
Can`t win!?

LOL

999Madmax
-*-