PDA

View Full Version : Irrational feeling of dread, feel low today.

Mick36
02-01-14, 21:11
Hi guys

The last few weeks I've been struggling on and off, but I've been very low today.

Basically, I've a lovely partner and a 2 year old son I'm crazy about, but the last couple of weeks I've been worrying about things from the past that normally wouldn't bother me. Nothing that bad (I'm positive none of my friends would think twice about) but all of a sudden I've a feeling of dread, that perhaps ill (somehow) get into trouble and spoil everything, and let my partner and son down.

Now, every time a look at my son, I get upset. I've just cried for the first time in years.

Just knowing if anybody else can empathise with this or similar would be helpfull to hear.

Thanks for reading

Nick.

Annie0904
02-01-14, 21:25
Hi Nick, this is very common in high anxiety. Have you had any type of therapy such as CBT? I think it may be helpful to you in training your mind to think more positively.

Leslie735
02-01-14, 21:44
I know exactly how you feel, as I'm feeling the say way right now. I'm having a very difficult time snapping out of it. :hugs:

Mick36
02-01-14, 22:31
Thanks for the replies. Annie, I will look into CBT, I know how good exposure therapy is in tackling issues, but need to get a grip of these irrational worries of my past 'flaws'. Again, I'm convinced I'm an angel compared to most guys, but it seems I'm looking for perfection.

Clerlm, thanks for the message. You're wrong- it was very helpful, I don't know why but it helps to see you're not alone.

And Leslie, I hope my post helps in a way, to see there's others with the same predicament?

craigj1303
03-01-14, 00:56
Hi Mick

I can totally relate to your situation. Since my daughter was born 7 years ago, on and off i've had a whole plethra of irrational fears. What if I turn in to a peadophile? What if I am gay? What if I lose control and harm the family? Just an example of some of what seemed so real and frightening but is of course complete nonsense, catastrophising by a tired mind. But in the last few months I have really began to investigate and tackle this problem head on. I have read books, opened up and spoken to my partner about this instead of bottling it up. I have called the NHS and spoke to someone about self help and CBT. I am now embarking on the online CBT course found here: http://ct-online-info.com/wp-login.php?action=register

Almost immediately it's helped me understand and tackle the problems. I would recommend you give it a try.

Mick36
03-01-14, 06:42
Hi Mick

I can totally relate to your situation. Since my daughter was born 7 years ago, on and off i've had a whole plethra of irrational fears. What if I turn in to a peadophile? What if I am gay? What if I lose control and harm the family? Just an example of some of what seemed so real and frightening but is of course complete nonsense, catastrophising by a tired mind. But in the last few months I have really began to investigate and tackle this problem head on. I have read books, opened up and spoken to my partner about this instead of bottling it up. I have called the NHS and spoke to someone about self help and CBT. I am now embarking on the online CBT course found here: http://ct-online-info.com/wp-login.php?action=register

Almost immediately it's helped me understand and tackle the problems. I would recommend you give it a try.
Thank you Craig. Do you think CBT would help with my current problem, over analysing past events and thinking they're going to come back and haunt me, and I'll let everyone down?

craigj1303
03-01-14, 06:48
Yes I do. I think it would help a whole load of people with a range of different symptoms from those that suffer mainly panic attacks, to those that experience a lot of intrusive thoughts. Increasingly your knowledge of what you are actually experiencing and losing fear of it is the key to recovery.

Mick36
03-01-14, 07:22
Yes I do. I think it would help a whole load of people with a range of different symptoms from those that suffer mainly panic attacks, to those that experience a lot of intrusive thoughts. Increasingly your knowledge of what you are actually experiencing and losing fear of it is the key to recovery.

Thanks again Craig, for taking the time to reply, you're a good man. Thanks to everyone else too.

CBT it is then:)

shakey1961
03-01-14, 07:42
Hi. I don't think you have anything to fear. Think about it... you are all aware of what is unlikely to happen, and because of this awareness you are unlikely to act on anything.

I think the time to worry the most is if you start exhibiting behaviour and you're NOT aware of it!

Although I'm not a Dad myself, I should think a lot of Dad's worry about letting their family down or not being able to look after them as they should.

craigj1303
03-01-14, 10:24
Hi Shakey

You are absolutely right of course, there is nothing real to fear. And of course you are right with your point about the time to worry being exhibiting behaviour and your not aware of it.

How many people in the world that are genuinely "crazy" as it were, are actually aware they are "crazy"? If you saw a guy sitting in a chair with a pair of Y-Fronts on his head and two pencils up his nose drumming his lips and mumbling "wibble wibble", it is hardly likely that he planned it beforehand with a view to "i'm crazy, and now I need to demonstrate that fact by orchestrating this wonderful display of my insanity!". No, they simply are not in control of what they are doing.

So all us anxious folks here, who have thoughts of "am I going crazy", "What if I do this or that" are in fact demonstrating that they are the complete opposite of crazy, because they are able to worry about what would happen if they were and not act on it!

I think that makes sense :scared15: