PDA

View Full Version : Snowboarding!

Munki
03-01-14, 13:24
Okay guys, I'm new to the health anxiety side of things but it would seem that this has become the latest manifestation for my existing anxiety issues. Oh joy!

My hubby bought me snowboarding lessons for Christmas and after lesson 1 I adored it! However, the panic that I went through leading up to the lesson was awful. Will I be terrible (normal), will I be the only one that can't do it (normal), will I fall, land funny, bang my head and die (less normal!)? The night before my lesson I turned the news on to see Michael Schumaker had been involved in a 'terrible ski accident' - to me this was fate! The panic in me was terrifying.

However, I faced the fear and did it anyway and despite a few falls on my bum I loved every minute. Needless to say, I wasn't the worst and actually felt very proud of my progress. So, tomorrow is lesson 2 and I've been really looking forward to it. But then today, the devil on my shoulder advised me that I shouldn't be so excited and actually, this time I may have an accident as I'm feeling too cocky! So the panic sets in again and now I'm back to square 1. I was talking to my husband about taking the tree down on Sunday earlier and suddenly the voice said, 'that's if you're here!'.

For the record, I am not schizophrenic. They are merely intrusive thoughts. Am I unable to enjoy anything without utter fear?

:weep:

Leslie735
03-01-14, 15:08
I get these feelings sometimes when I'm going to be facing something new. Have you spoke with your Dr. about your thoughts?

Munki
03-01-14, 15:33
Oh yeah totally. It's futile though as they send you to a counceller or CBT therapist who subsequently does a generic exercise to 'help' you. I find posting here far more cathartic and helpful :)