PDA

View Full Version : 15 years old, everyone says I should take an SSRI

Jeninthesky
05-01-14, 00:40
I have had a host of anxiety issues for three years. I've been to doctors, psychiatrists, therapists, psychologists and the like, and they've all recommended an SSRI for anxiety and moderate depression.

Thing is, I am so resistant to taking one. I hate the idea of putting something into my body and not knowing if it will permanently change my mind and how it works. I've refused for so long that I would feel like I'm giving in if I say yes.

I feel inadequate if I take one. Everyone else gets by without them, so why me.

I don't want one, but my quality life is worse for the wear.

I'm also concerned about the side effects of an SSRI like gaining weight.

I just don't know. I feel like my life is so bland and boring and sad and I have no motivation, but I have really don't want to take an SSRI. I feel so stuck. Life just isn't what it's been made out to be anymore.

LunaLiuna
05-01-14, 00:47
Hellooo, I'm 16 and I've just had this :l I was soo against it for a couple of years but I've had to give in :l I know how you feel, it's made me feel worse knowing I need to take something to be 'normal'

For the first two years I only had social anxiety which I fought with lots of yoga and meditation, but I stopped that a couple of months ago and have now hit my lowest :l I guess sometimes life likes to give us a little test.

I'm on my fourth day of sertraline and to be honest it's not too bad so far.

Message me if you need to c:

Cú Chulainn
05-01-14, 03:02
Hi, I'm not too much older than you
Your fears are exactly the type of fears caused by anxiety
UNFOUNDED ONES!
An SSRI will not change your brain chemistry
Thats not what it does
It stops your brain cells from basically soaking up your serotonin that your body naturally produces.
To be honest about a quarter of the people you know have taken something for depression and anxiety in their lives.
IT SO COMMON!!
btw i know you're probably worried about you wight bout so what if it help you feel better
Also very few people actually gain weight during treatment.
Talk openly to your parent and doctor especially about your fears.
Personally ive been taken one now 3 months and i do feel better for it
PM if you want to discuss

Ikaeoph
05-01-14, 04:32
I had sertraline (Zoloft) for depression for a hear and now I've stopped and I haven't been depressed for nearly a year after stopping, so it's not likely you will be taking meds for a long time, and my biggest fear was it could change my personality and who I am... well that never happened :) good luck, when your brain is under stress, follow your heart instead.

Jingo
05-01-14, 13:59
Je nintheskey, why not try it and see? It's not for ever and you may find it helps. I'm 47 and have had anxiety and depression since my teens. I wish I'd tried it before. I feel more like myself than I've done for years. I also have children around your age and I would encourage them to try an SSRI if it was necessary. I do understand your reluctance though. It took me until I felt I was standing on the edge of a precipice surrounded by what felt like never-ending pain before I agreed to try. Those feelings of bleakness were so terrible I would never wish them on anyone. For me taking a SSRI has given me sufficient headspace to work on the underlykng causes of my unhappiness. Good luck. You are obviously a very strong and determined person. I am sure you will make the right choice for you. Jingo

yappie94
05-01-14, 22:59
i been taking them for 3months now and i was reluctant at first…. but guess what.. it was the best move i took because my anxiety is complete gone now along with the depression..if u need help just pm cause I'm not going to lie the first 2-3 weeks on them are going to be tough… but no one could possibly have it as bad as i did when i first started haha lol

Jingo
07-01-14, 16:33
How are you doing?

jimbobrooney
08-01-14, 12:56
I would not agree that an SSRI is the answer for a teenager.

Good diet / exercise / therapy is better

Jingo
08-01-14, 15:35
Depends on the situation. There is no black and white. It depends on the individual.

BenCaraccio
09-01-14, 20:25
I am a 26 year old guy and have lived with anxiety problems for over 10 years without seeing a doctor...Silly me!

Things came to a head about a week ago and I saw a doctor. Before going to see the doctor I had made up my mind that I would like medication rather than therapy to help me though this rough patch.

I am on day 4 of Fluoxetine and already feel a little silly for not starting it sooner. I am starting to feel a bit more like "me".

What helped me make the decision was fully understanding what the SSRI was going to do to me. Naturally there are a couple things that COULD happen but that doesen't mean it will.

You and your Doctor will have to explore the medication to see what does and doesn't work for you. hopefully, you will be well on the way to being happier as a whole!

What are your thoughts at the moment on taking SSRI's?

ThoughtsDisclosed
12-01-14, 20:33
Hi,

I'm 17 and was really resistant to taking meds. However, eventually I agreed to taking an SSRI. Although it didn't work for me, I know they do work for a lot of people. The drug will not permanently change your mind and saying yes is not giving in. Some of us just need a little extra help, that doesn't make us inadequate. You never know, if and when you do try medication, you may consider it to be the best thing you've ever done and if it isn't, there will be an alternative for you to be able to better manage your anxiety.

Hope this helps. :)