PDA

View Full Version : ORGANIC BRAIN DYSFUNCTION

mirry
15-11-06, 07:41
I GOT A BOOK FROM THE LIBRARY CALLED........
PANIC ATTACKS BY CHRISTINE INGHAM.

It has a section all about biological causes of panic attacks,
and one has caught my eye.

ORGANIC BRAIN DYSFUNCTION
--------------------------------------
researchers in edinburgh belive it may apply to a third of agrophobics,
but figures from the usa quote 67% (an incredibly high figure).
so what is this organic brain dysfunction ?
Babies are born with a number of primitive reflexes. As they mature the reflexes become modified.
However some people maintain these responces which should haVE DISAPPEARED EARLY ON.An inability to balance very well is a feature of OBD, as is cross-laterality. This means that instead of being say , right handed (ie .predominantly using the right hand),and right footed (ie.predominantly using the right foot), a person with cross laterality may be right handed but left footed or left eyed and right footed.
This can manifest as poor physical co ordination.
Visual difficulties are a feature of OBD as well; not wheather you are shortsighted, but having poor eye muscle co ordination or an inability to ignor movement on the edge of the visual field.
The effec of having these difficulties is to place additional strain on the central nervous system, amking someone very vunerable to stress. This could conceivably link in with the theory about misinterpretation of bodily sensations.
Someone who unconscciously experiences some of these bodily sensations.someone who unconsiously experiences some of these OBD generated difficulties could, for example feel wobbly on their legs, feel frightened,and start to panic- all in a slit second. Not understanding what has been the cause of the wobbly feeling could be enough for someone to then feel frightened of it happening again, causing more anxiety and leaading to it becoming a psychological problem too.
Since some of the symptoms of OBD are inherited, it could explain whyother researchers suggest that vulnerability to panic attacks is genetically transmitted.
Interest in OBD appears to be growing , especially in its relation to both panic attacks and agoraphobia. It is possible to rememedy the problem.

(i will post further info later )

mirryx

brenda
15-11-06, 12:09
Very Interesting Mirry
Look forward to reading further info

Pam x

Piglet
15-11-06, 12:47
Well gosh that's funny isnt it.

I have to say I think some of that applies to me (actually I say that on every post don't I [:I]:D) but I have always been relatively ambidextrous (no idea if that's the right spelling). I write with my right hand because I was persuaded to when I was little. I can do many things with both hands and if I start a new skill eg: darts then the first thing is deciding which hand to use cos I can use either (or even both at the same time if I'm eager) :D.

I do also seem to be a bit clumsy (some of you may have gathered this already :D). I am more short sighted in one eye than the other and have that thing where the shape of the back of my eye is different (I want to say afixiation here but that's not right - it'll come to me later).

So all in all a right little cracker - can't think why I'm not remarried!

Anyway Mirry I look forward to your investigations - we can always count on you for new perspectives :D:D:D

Love Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

mirry
15-11-06, 15:20
At present it is not yet widely excepted as a cause although more interest is now being shown in the possiblitythat this may be at the biological root of panick attacks, in particular for some agrophobics.
Dr weeks, consultant clinical neuropsychologist at the Royal Edinburgh Hospital, is currently researching into OBD and running a succesfull treatment programme aimed at correcting thosebalance and co ordination anomalies which may lie at the root cause of agrophobia.
Peter Blythe runs a private practice in north west England which also focuses on OBD. His treatment is similarly concerned with correcting these dysfunctions through specialized exersizes, tailoredto suit your individual needs, which you can do at home.
Regular check ups are made until symptoms go into remission.
Reported success rates are high: over 90 per cent in those who continue with the programme, according to Peter Blythes own research and experiance.

mirryx

mirry
15-11-06, 15:35
it is interesting isnt it :D
All i know is when i panic, its like i see too much around me, the people in front of me, the people behind me and across the room (does that make sence ?)Its like its too much to take in.

When I walk down the street Its like the houses to the side of me move/wobble. Also when i walk I get dizzy without panicking, i feel my body pulls me over to one side, like my heads too heavy.

My husband has always laughed at how If he moves his finger side to side, my eyes cant keep up with it, he says theres a delayed reaction ?
I am short sighted in both eyes but dont know how to discover if you have this condition. I bet there are tests on it.

Piglet I can eat with my knife and fork in any hand, and as a child I could write with both hands.
I dont know how I can tell which is my dominant foot ?
----------------------------------------------------------------
Before I knew I had panic disorder, I used to get horrible dizzy spells but no panic at all.......this went on for a year untill I got one going around a roundabout, then I panicked and have been doing so ever since [:I]

mmmmmm maybe No more panic could write to Peter Blythe to find out more info ??? Please :)

mirryx

brenda
15-11-06, 15:41
Thats very interesting.
I am doing a no panic telephone support course and the group leader had problems with feeling dizzy even while sitting down
He went to an optician and they said his periferal vision was so acute that he could see movement at the side of him which made him feel dizzy
Also he has tinted glasses as his eyes are sensitive.

Piglet I think the word you were looking for is astigmatism isnt it?

Hugs
Pam

net
15-11-06, 16:00
i'm righthanded but eat left handed and am quite often asked if i'm lefthanded.

netty

the dreams of the future are better than the history of the past

MartynRich
23-06-17, 10:01
Does anyone know how I can find contact details for the clinic run by Peter Blythe? Excuse the bump...