PDA

View Full Version : VERY weird feeling in throat

AnxiousPansa
06-01-14, 03:06
Hey all
recently ive been gettin a good hold onmy anxiety save for one thing - my breathing no matter how hard i try to overcome it is the one thing that keeps coming back to cause me anxiety and panic. I just get these feeling i cant breathe propeely not helped by consyant stuffy nose and mucusy throat. If it gets very badit feelsl like mychest cant rise or like my lungs cant expand then i panic get tight throat weird feelings all over body the usual... Ijust had my first bad period of ths for a while still feel like icant breat going to snap ohe. Bu t i ha a very weird aymptom that i still have a bit its an incredibly strange sensation in my thtoat almost like its going to snap and it feels very odd almost like its gunna be difficult to swallow though it isnt. This then worries me even more about breathing. does anyone else get this? Ijust almost feel like m ybody.Also the breathing effects me most whenim trying to sleep. sometimes feels like my nose cantbreathe idf that makes sense any hely nod appreciated thanks pansa

---------- Post added at 03:06 ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 ----------

also ihave hada a very stuffy nose blocked throat for a while which makes it hard when i lie down to sleep which is what is giving me real worries about trouble breathing achest feels really weird and i keep jolting which i think is from panic

anxious_thoughts
06-01-14, 03:19
Did your breathing anxiety only start with your cold?

HAnoway
06-01-14, 03:24
Is it not Globus?

I get it all the time as well.

AnxiousPansa
06-01-14, 03:34
I have had breathing anxiety for months but it intensified with a cold causr it feels hard to get air when anxious what is globus? x

HAnoway
06-01-14, 03:38
I tried to post the link but as a new member, it wouldn't let me!

I'll copy and paste the entry but it sounds identical to it.

From one site:

Globus sensation is the term used when a person has the feeling of a lump in their throat when actually there is no lump present when the throat is examined. The sensation can come and go. It does not interfere with eating and drinking. The exact cause of globus sensation is uncertain but it may be due to a problem with the co-ordination of the muscles involved in swallowing. Examination and investigations may be carried out to exclude any other underlying problem. Reassurance that there is no serious underlying problem may be all that is needed in terms of treatment.

And another:

When you suffer from anxiety, your body is constantly stimulating your sympathetic nervous system. This leads to an increased heart rate, increased breathing rate, and muscle tension, and in some people that muscle tension can cause the throat to feel inflammation. In many people, that feeling is described as a "lump in the throat." It may be referred to in medical circles as:

Globus Pharyngis
Globus Sensation
Globus Hystericus
When anxiety causes the lump in your throat it isn't dangerous. But when you have anxiety, it can feel very frightening. In some cases you may even feel as though you're choking, or that you're at risk of choking, and the anxiety may make it hard to swallow.

AnxiousPansa
06-01-14, 03:48
that does sound like what i experienced definetely feels like you know just before you burp if that makes sense like i need to dosimething to clear it nut cant was also wondering if i might have gurd as i get very gurgly tummy and burp a lot after eating so i wwas wonderibng idf that could be cause of mucus blocked nose
? x

HAnoway
06-01-14, 03:50
Best way to clear it is to forget about it. Occupy your mind. I know that's easier said than done.

If that doesn't work, getting a doctor to check it out with definitely help because even though I know what you're experiencing and can say with 99.99% certainty that's what it is (purely because it sounds like exactly like mine), a proper person feeling it should ease your mind.

It's what helped me anyway :-)

AnxiousPansa
06-01-14, 04:03
Yeah I really should try annd gset some sleep its 4am here... thank you for your help x

anxious_thoughts
06-01-14, 04:18
I agree with HAnoway!

Does it seem to bother you when you're busy? I sometimes have breathing anxiety, it used to be really bad a few years ago. But when I'm not paying attention I don't notice it at all. It's when I focus on my breathing my anxiety worsens. Try to see if you notice that :)

AnxiousPansa
06-01-14, 13:39
Yes I do only get breathing anxiety when im anxious like I breathe fin ewhen distracted you know? Stupid anxiety :/ x