PDA

View Full Version : ATOS medical help please

agneskrob
06-01-14, 13:11
Hello everyone,

I suffer with anxiety, slight agoraphobia and depression.I currently receive Contribution based ESA. I am due to have my ATOS medical assessment on Thursday and I am absolutely terrified about it. Any advice on what I can expect would be greatly appreciated.

Also I am very confused about the possible outcomes. If I get 0 points does that immediately mean that I lose my benefit? How many points do you have to get to get into the work group and how many for the support group? I have only heard terrible things about these assessments and outcomes so this has really made my anxiety ten times worse. Also as I only just got the letter about the appointment I won't be able to get any letters from my GP or CBT therapist because I am unable to see them in time. Does this mean that my chances are impossible?

Sorry for all the questions but I am so worried about it and what the outcome will be. I don't want to be on benefits forever, but if they turn around and decide that I am "fit for work", how in the world am I going to cope with having to go to the Job Center every week and I can see myself going for interviews at the moment as I still have to have my husband go everywhere with me.

Thank you for any help or advice, Agnes

Annie0904
06-01-14, 14:42
Are you able to ring your doctors and therapist and ask them for a support letter to take with you? It would help your case if you could take them with you.
The lady doctor who did my assessment was actually quite supportive which I didn't expect.
I am not sure how the points are awarded. I am assuming you are taking someone in with you and make them aware that you are unable to go places alone.
I was put in the working group. Since I was having doctors appointments, Physio and psychology appointments they said they wouldn't give me any work based activities.
Unfortunately, contribution based ESA ends after 1 year so I don't get anything now. (After a year you can apply for means tested allowance).

bottleblond
06-01-14, 15:06
Hi Agnes

Yes the system has changed.

I think you need 12 poinst. I got 6 in mine and my money was stopped
immediately. That was on November 1st. I have been living off my
child tax credits since. £60 per week. I have appealed this but
you have to go through so much red tape and waiting before the
benefit is reinstated at an appeal rate of £71 per week until the
tribunal.

The assessment itself is fine so don't worry about that but failing it
and getting less than 12 points is something they prepare you for so
if I was you, I'd try to sort something else out incase you fail. too.

Lisa
xx

agneskrob
06-01-14, 15:20
Thank you for your response. Now I'm even more terrified as this is the only help I get as husband works so apparently we have too much money. He already works two jobs six days a week and we barely make it each month. So they just stop your money straight away don't even give you a chance to appeal?!? So if they are just going to fail me anyway what is the point of putting me through the assesment in the first place. I don't understand this system. Oh my goodness now I'm even more worried as it seems that I will definitely fail and they will stop my money straight away. Don't know what we will do

bottleblond
06-01-14, 15:27
It's disgusting they way they do this to people hun. I'm a single parent and had to go through Christmas with no money. Any money I received as a gift, I had to spend on food.

The do the assessment and then it goes to a decision maker to decide what points they award you. It takes a couple of months to let you know whether you have failed or passed. If you fail then you can appeal but your money is still stopped from the day of their decision. Once the appeal court receives your paperwork, then then send both you and the DWP confirmation and then the DWP can pay you ESA appeal rate until the tribunal.

I have to be honest, It's not an easy process hun. :( xx

bernie1977
06-01-14, 16:51
If you want to pm me your email address Agnes I can send you some documents on how points are awarded

agneskrob
07-01-14, 11:47
Thank you for your advice the problem is with my anxiety I doubt I will be able to be calm on the day and remember about how points are awarded. You should be able to just go in there and be yourself and not have to try and remember how points are awarded. Don't they understand that for a person with anxiety the whole situation is terrifying. And from what I have read it seems that some of the assessors just put down whatever they want, so what chance do we really have for a fair assessment. Unfortunately some people know how to play the system and the ones in real need get penalized.

Is the appeal procedure very difficult. I have heard conflicting views that it is very difficult to get money during the appeal whilst some people said it was no problem. This is all doing my head in really.

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

Agnes

bottleblond
07-01-14, 12:43
Hi Agnes

Going in nervous isn't a bad thing as it proves you have a valid reason for being there.

Try to just be yourself and be completely honest with them. Forget about the points for the time being and just explain how the condition effects your every day life etc.

Good luck and do let us know how you get on.

Lisa
xx

Annie0904
07-01-14, 12:48
I agree with Lisa, no need to worry about the points when you go in. I was a nervous wreck and cried the whole time I was in there but that turned out to be in my favour as they saw how bad my anxiety is.

agneskrob
07-01-14, 14:00
Thank you so much for your advice. I agree all I can do is be myself and if I get nervous and say what they consider to be the wrong thing so be it. I can only be myself and if they don't understand that there isn't much else I can do. I just wish that these people could feel just for one second what we go through and then maybe they would be more supportive. Not that I would wish anxiety and panic attacks on my worst enemy, but as I think with a lot of mental illnesses people find it very difficult to understand unless they go through it themselves. It isn't something we chose or can even control, I really don't think any of us want to be on benefits we want to contribute to society but we are just asking for a bit of help.
Sorry about the rant. Well my assessment is Thursday at 9am so this time in two days it will all be over. Thanks again to everyone for your advice and support. Hope today is a good day for you.

All the best,
Agnes

Annie0904
07-01-14, 14:21
I can't really fault the doctor who did my ASOS medical, she seemed to really understand and was supportive so I hope you get a good one too.

bobbya3249
07-02-14, 11:46
Hi everyone, I filled in the form that dwp send out on behalf of atos it took me 2 weeks to fill it in. I filled the form a bit at a time and that helped and made it easier for me, my writing is terrible due to slight tremor in my right hand (caused by my medication ) God knows how they were able to read it lol.
I was able to get a report from my psychiatrist and sent a copy in with the form,
I received a letter from the dwp in less than 2 weeks telling me that I was in a support group and therefore unable to work.:yesyes: I suffer from PTSD and I cannot be in a room with other people and can get annoyed very easily. I also told them that I cannot use public transport due to anxiety, if any of you suffer from any of these problems you should be ok.