PDA

View Full Version : Can't go on like this too much longer

scrumking
06-01-14, 16:24
I think I am on the verge of a mental breakdown I can't do this anymore.

After a pretty decent patch I am back to my full out constant worry that something is seriously wrong with my heart and no one seems to care. I think the minute your doc diagnosis you with anxiety particularly health anxiety nothing else matters and all they see is "oh it's just your anxiety" and refuse to believe anything else could be wrong and turn a blind eye.

I'm not crazy I have done my research the ekg and 24 hour monitor is a basic test and doesn't give a full picture of your overall heart health. Why won't he just order the echo and be sure I am ok it doesn't cost him anything especially since he know my extensive family history of cardiac problems.

I don't want to die at 31 because I have anxiety and I'm being ignored because of it

clover1201
06-01-14, 16:29
What are your symptoms. An ecg and 24hr tape would have detected a problem if the was one. Intact they more often detect one even if there isn't one. I have spent the last year between drs and cardioligists and my problems were picked up via a simple ecg.

katesa
06-01-14, 16:34
Hi Scrumking,

First of all I am very sorry that you are feeling like this. It is a horrible feeling isn't it?

The idea that doctors dismiss us because of anxiety is a popular one but in my experience, it is rarely true. Even if you don't believe they care, they spent years at medical school to get their careers and they don't want to risk losing that and being struck off just because they miss something. After all, saying "Well, he had anxiety so I didn't think he needed testing" won't wash with any governing body will it?

You say that you have done your research and I don't doubt that. But don't you think your doctor has done more research, given that they have spent years and years of training and have seen countless patients?

That's not to say Doctors don't ever get it wrong. Of course they do. But we get it wrong about 10000000 times more.

When you say that the echo won't cost him anything, does that mean you have private cover ((sorry, not sure where you are from)? If so, I don't see why he wouldn't let you have it.

What cardiac issues in particular are you scared of hon?

scrumking
06-01-14, 16:41
My main symptoms are constant left sided chest pain and my heart always races somewhere in the range of 120-130bpm the main worries I have are sudden cardiac death, a massive stork or heart attack and sometimes but not very often an aneurysm.

I am so scared that I am just going to drop dead without warning

katesa
06-01-14, 16:48
My heart rate sometimes goes up to that range when my thyroid is out of control (I have an overactive thyroid). Before I was diagnosed I'm pretty sure it was always like that.

You aren't going to drop dead hon, I promise.

scrumking
06-01-14, 17:00
Thanks Kate

Even though it's easier said then done I will try to overcome the fear

illgetthere
06-01-14, 18:33
I have heart worry at the moment as I'm writing I got terrible chest pain not in the centre by my right brats it's hurting like a gooden feel serious pressure on my chest been to doctors had 2 ECG Friday my father had heart disease had a massive heart attack May last year and past away my mother also has a heart problem I worry to that the doctor puts this down to anxiety I've lived everyday for the past 3 years with chest pain like I said to my sister yesterday how can you get over something when your constantly in pain who knows cause I certainly don't xx

clover1201
06-01-14, 18:34
For the last year i have had heel with my heart. I have had every test under the sun because of a dodgy ecg. When i was in hospital my heart rate would increse to 160 - 170. The alarms would be sounding and people would faff about. I would have alot of chest pain and have the exact same worries as you. BTW my ecg is indicitive of heart disease or a cardiomyopthy. My heart would be irregular and sometime the runs of eptopics were so prolonged i was certain i was going to die. I, in the end had alot of tests, it took alot of convincing me that i wasnt going to drop dead immediately. I pretty convinced that im ok now and since then my palps have reduced by 80%, my chest pain is almost non existant and when i get over this cancer scare that i have (whch is very real) i am looking forward to getting out and exercising again. I hadnt exercised in over a year because i thought that if i increased my heart rate too much it would throw my into an arythimia and i woyuld die - after all my ecg showed that something was worng! (there still could be in the furture but hey there isnt at the min!)

Leslie735
06-01-14, 19:48
I'm so sorry your still having trouble with your fears of heart trouble. If you feel as strongly as you do go back to your Dr. and demand an echo grahm just to ease your mind. Tell him how scared you are about it. I'm certain if there was a problem the heart monitor and EKG would've picked it up though. Considering your age, the realistic of something actually being wrong is slim. Since you are so nervous and worked up that explains the chest pain and increased heart rate. I don't worry over my heart like I use to and just over the weekend while relaxing on the couch I had a palpation out of nowhere. I'm certain it was from my recent anxiety. When I use to stress and worry about my heart and worry I'd have a heart attack I had chest pains on a regular basis. :hugs: