PDA

View Full Version : It takes away my emotions...

Panic Manic
06-01-14, 17:06
I'm not sure if I'm explaining it right... but this medication takes away my feelings of happy, depressed, sad.. etc. I can't laugh still, but I now also can't cry.. Emotions help me with a release and now I can't. It's frustrating and kind of concerning? I'm sort of a zombie on this drug... :(

pinkdove
06-01-14, 19:01
hi i was exactly the same on citalopram but it worked wonders for me the first time around dont worry about it its quite normal for some people xx

Sparkle1984
06-01-14, 19:18
I'm very similar, but in my case it's taken away the sadness (especially the urge to cry) and I still have positive feelings. I posted about that on another thread: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=147538

Panic Manic
19-01-14, 16:38
I'm very similar, but in my case it's taken away the sadness (especially the urge to cry) and I still have positive feelings. I posted about that on another thread: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=147538

Thank you for showing me the link.. interesting read.
I've decided to get off Celexa as it isn't for me.

teej
19-01-14, 17:28
Are you coming off SSRI's in general or switching?

After speaking with my doctor about this he's switched me over to Sertraline. I'm two days in and having a positive experience so far.

For me the problem with citalopram was the side effects which kept coming back and the fact that I never felt 100% better - there was something just not right. I can't explain it. As a medication I felt it worked to an extent but there was just this agitation. I too felt rather emotionless but my emotions are quite frankly annoying sometimes. The strangest things would bring about a huge sadness - almost a crippling nostalgia that could only be satiated with drink. :mad:

The last two days though I've experienced and incredible sense of well-being in the evenings - whether or not it's the sertraline or the general emotional cycle I don't know but I'm going to keep on going.

Daisy-chains
26-01-14, 19:18
I'm the same, I can't cry anymore, I feel removed from the essential first hand feelings, I think this desensitization is helping me in the healing process.

Marty_67
26-01-14, 22:20
I feel a lot happier and positive than before...but that said, I used to worry and feel sad a lot prior to taking the cit but I am not sure that is there now.

My main concern is my libido which has taken a real tumble. I'm seeing the doctor tomorrow and I will mention this to him.

Daisy-chains
26-01-14, 23:31
My loss of libido is the least of my worries atm, my problem is sleeping I have been advised to try Piriton and phenergan. I did read Pschopoets top post that the libido does return after a bit tho.

Marty_67
27-01-14, 07:18
My loss of libido is the least of my worries atm, my problem is sleeping I have been advised to try Piriton and phenergan. I did read Pschopoets top post that the libido does return after a bit tho.

Thanks Daisy. Tbh, libido is low on my priorities at the moment. Feeling better is way more important :)

Daisy-chains
28-01-14, 20:54
how did the doctors appointment go Marty? are you feeling anymore at ease now? :)

Marty_67
28-01-14, 21:26
how did the doctors appointment go Marty? are you feeling anymore at ease now? :)

Hey Daisy, thanks for asking :)

Doctors was good, he's a very understanding bloke and I have got a repeat prescription which will keep me going for a couple of months or so.

Not had a great day. Suffering from a few side effects, among them is nausea and sleep disruption - if I don't sleep properly then it seems to open me up to the anxiety. Hoping for a good nights sleep and a better day tomorrow :)

So two steps forward and one back...but onwards and upwards!

Daisy-chains
28-01-14, 22:00
Good man Marty, small steps! :)

Does anyone on Cit ever get some nights when you find it hard to get to sleep then wonder in the middle of the night, when you are wide awake, whether you have been asleep at all, and the only thing you can rely on is if you can remember the dream you had?? :unsure:

Marty_67
28-01-14, 22:35
Good man Marty, small steps! :)

Does anyone on Cit ever get some nights when you find it hard to get to sleep then wonder in the middle of the night, when you are wide awake, whether you have been asleep at all, and the only thing you can rely on is if you can remember the dream you had?? :unsure:

Lol, yes! :)

The alarm clock then keeps reminding you that you have been awake for 1 hour...then 2 hours...then 3 hours...

Daisy-chains
28-01-14, 22:48
I don't 'do' alarm clocks....they tick too much or shine and keep me awake, I keep my mobile on mute and set an alarm on that. So keep my phone upside down so I can't see the time, it just seems to make things worse for me :unsure:

Marty_67
29-01-14, 07:07
Slept ok last night, feel much more up for the day :)

Daisy-chains
29-01-14, 14:00
:) enjoy what's left of the day Marty

myjourney
01-02-14, 22:55
Does this sound wrong , but thats what I'm hoping for, for a while until I'm strong enough to deal with the hurt. I've got telephone interview with local mental health team on Tuesday but only on day 6 of Citalopram and so far everything has been heightened.

Zeitgeist
01-02-14, 23:03
Doesn't sound wrong to me at all,

My experience is that I am more attuned than most emotionally. This can be good, but can also feel like everyone is walking around screaming in my ears. I am hoping this provides figurative earplugs, lessening that volume.

Marty_67
01-02-14, 23:41
I agree with Zei.

That's a good explanation too.

I was just fed up over-analyzing and worrying about EVERYTHING. I've discovered me again in recent weeks and actually I think that's a good thing.

I am just taking it a day at a time. Each day is a little easier...today has been great but tomorrow or the next day may be pants. But do you know, it doesn't worry me - I am gonna deal with it when it gets here :)

Zeitgeist
01-02-14, 23:54
If my therapy has taught me one thing it is that I crave control, my anxiety comes when I find I can't bend my reality to my will. The trick is to let go and enjoy he ride.

Far easier to say than do in my experience but the Meds are helping.

Icequeen
04-02-14, 11:42
I had this exact feeling, i didn't feel it coming on, i just noticed one day i was numb... i felt empty, blank, laughing and smiling wasnt happening but then sadness and tears weren't either... i was in a surreal void between reality and fiction... it scared me, i'll admit, but i rode it out... the numbness kinda stopped everything and so stopped me worrying about it, if that makes sense? It went full circle!!!

I have been on Citalopram since September, i had the first few weeks on 20mg and then went to 30mg which i am still on now.

i didnt notice an exact time period for this numbness to lift, i just know that it did nad i am here today being able to feel things... i wouldnt say i am "happy" happy, but i am not so depressed and sad, things happen and i seem to naturally have a "meh" feeling about stuff. i do still get anxious and nervous, sad and depressed but looking back, today isnt as bad as yesterday!

so work through the numbness, its a protective mechanism i think, but it will pass... look at it as a good thing, a stepping stone to the next level!

please feel free to message me privately if you;d like to ask anything else or talk about anything, this forum and the people in it has been so fantastic to me, i want to continue by helpign others as well (as well as still recieveing support myself too... of course!!)

big hug!! xxx

GuitarPlayingMan
04-02-14, 17:33
I'm not sure if I'm explaining it right... but this medication takes away my feelings of happy, depressed, sad.. etc. I can't laugh still, but I now also can't cry.. Emotions help me with a release and now I can't. It's frustrating and kind of concerning? I'm sort of a zombie on this drug... :(

Correct, its a good drug to take when you need it, but as soon as you are in a better place get off it like I did.

I love feeling happy and sad again at the right times. Its fantastic

Good luck

---------- Post added at 17:33 ---------- Previous post was at 17:32 ----------

Thanks Daisy. Tbh, libido is low on my priorities at the moment. Feeling better is way more important :)

Libido does not come back until you get off the drug. Get off as soon as you are in a good place.

Trust me

Icequeen
05-02-14, 08:46
Libido does not come back until you get off the drug. Get off as soon as you are in a good place.

Trust me

I think this libido thing is different for everyone ... I haven't lost mine at all... infact, excuse the wording here, but i just as hot for my husband as i have ever been... i have no problems reaching orgasm, or even going over the edge (sorry to be so brutal, but thats how it is!) :blush: ... i have been worried about this problem as so many people make it out to be a given that libido goes...

Sparkle1984
10-02-14, 08:50
With regards to the "get off as soon as you're in a good place" comment, I don't think that's correct, sorry. I think the accepted medical advice is to stay on for at least 6 months after recovery, to reduce the risk of relapse. Last time I only stayed on it for 3 months after recovery and I relapsed badly a few weeks later. So this time I'm staying on for longer.

Marty_67
10-02-14, 12:47
With regards to the "get off as soon as you're in a good place" comment, I don't think that's correct, sorry. I think the accepted medical advice is to stay on for at least 6 months after recovery, to reduce the risk of relapse. Last time I only stayed on it for 3 months after recovery and I relapsed badly a few weeks later. So this time I'm staying on for longer.

Noted this, thanks Sparkle.

GuitarPlayingMan
13-02-14, 13:37
Your better off therm then on them, trust me

Daisy-chains
17-02-14, 22:33

I agree with with Sparkle on this :)

Icequeen
18-02-14, 09:09

Totally agree with this... My brother has been on them a year, lowered his dose a few months ago rather than coming off them, got into a blip and couldnt get out, good job he hadnt come off them... i have a friend who relapsed after she came off them after only a few months, she relapsed heavily and got straight back on them... 4 years later, she is still on them and in an amazing place but still having the support of the tablets

but don;t come off them as soon as you feel better:doh:.... my most recent blip came after 3 months of feeling "good", what if i'd of come off them... geesh it scares me thinking about it,... im coming out of my blip now, but i dont plan to come off these tablets any time soon...

and remember everyones different...