PDA

View Full Version : Is it really that simple?

Fishmanpa
06-01-14, 17:37
As many know, I've been hanging around here to learn about anxiety and specifically HA. I've learned so much! I've also studied other sites and medical journal entries in an effort to discover the triggers, causes and ways to defeat this "dragon".

I found CBT to be probably the most effective method as it helps to "re-wire" your thought patterns. It's there, in the mind and thought patterns that the key lies. I say CBT is probably the most effective because I downloaded the free program offered here and have thoroughly studied it and am utilizing it myself for issues in my life. It's been quite effective.

Some things I've also found can affect you negatively and prevent you from healing are so simple and just common sense.

For example:

Diet - I don't mean losing weight, I mean nutrition. Eating properly. How many of you skip breakfast or other meals for instance? How many eat too much fast food? What about drinking?

Anxiety or not, a proper diet and eating regular meals does wonders for your body and mind. And as I've said often times, anxiety and alcohol don't mix, especially if you're on meds. There are no ifs, ands or buts about it. Not even an occasional glass of wine. Just don't drink! (Don't smoke either!) By utilizing proper nutrition, you end up feeling better, sleeping better and thus your niggles become less of an issue. For those with "poo" issues, this is very important! Common sense right?

Knowledge - Learn about your affliction. Understand the physiology and why your body reacts the way it does. Learn what's happening when you begin to spiral into the cycle of intrusive and repetitive thoughts. By understanding what's actually going on and why, you can battle the dragon with some armor and a sword! Common sense right?

Activities - Simple exercise on a regular basis helps distract you from negative thoughts. Your mood will improve, spirits rise, increase your appetite and help you sleep better. Common sense right?

There are more but these three very basic things can help you control the dragon!

So is it really that simple? Perhaps not, but there's no doubt that following these three very basic common sense aspects of your health can and will make a positive difference in healing from your anxiety.

Positive thoughts

cpe1978
06-01-14, 18:00
I believe that for the most part, yes it is that simple, although I also think you can add some other strategies to that list. The problem I think is that each of those requires discipline and hard work, they aren't passive in the sense of taking antibiotics to clear up an infection. I think this is the point at which many with HA fall down as none if the solutions are comfortable or simple.

I have often spoken about CBT and you will know yourself that the underlying principle is overwhelmingly simple. So what is it that makes it work for some and not others. If we assume the philosophy is constant and evidence based then it can only be one of two things, the person delivering or the person receiving the therapy. You can easily change therapist, in fact I did twice before finding one I liked. I also changed my attitude though and I think so much of a therapy's success comes from within a person.

Pomchi
06-01-14, 18:05
Hi Chris and Fishmanpa,

Great post Fishmanpa!

I definitely agree that cbt can depend a lot on the therapist.

Chris, I did just ask you on another post where you saw your therapist (as in what area, not whether kitchen or lounge!) as it sounds like you got lucky with one who understands HA.

As I said, the lady I saw was lovely but not too clued-up on HA and I would like to try again.

Thanks

katesa
06-01-14, 18:20
I feel like I repeat myself over and over, but great post as usual Fishmanpa, with some bonus wisdom from Chris thrown in for good measure.

cpe1978
06-01-14, 18:45
Hi Pomchi,

Yes I did strike lucky, but ended up paying privately so I could pick and choose and to panda to my control freak tendencies. I am based in West Yorkshire, a bit in the sticks (hums theme tune to Last of the Summer Wine).

Pomchi
06-01-14, 18:53
Oh, a little bit too far for me to travel then, even though some days I think Iwill do ANYTHING to get better!

My last therapist was private. Maybe next time I'll spend a little bit longer checking them out, maybe give them a HA questionnaire to fill in to see how they respond.

Thank you anyway

cpe1978
06-01-14, 18:56
Have you tried searching on the BACP website, that was how I found her and the previous one that i didn't like.

Pomchi
06-01-14, 19:16
Yes, that's where I found my therapist.

I think I will try again with another therapist, maybe asking more questions of them first, like how many people they have treated for HA and how they would tackle it, rather than just thinking they look nice and hoping for the best.

But I do think to a certain degree it is just luck if you get a really good one that you gel (jel?) with.

cattia
06-01-14, 19:53
I had telephone CBT and I didn't like it at all. I don't much like taking over the phone at the best of times and certainly not to someone I don't know about personal issues. Many years ago I had face to face cbt and I found it really helpful. I have used cbt self help books in the past too. I have always found cbt can really help manage the symptoms of anxiety, although for me it hasn't been a cure. Evidence suggests that cbt reduces anxiety in the short term but in the longer term patients who undergo psychotherapy have similar outcomes. Personally I would really like to have psychotherapy. I've had anxiety since childhood and I feel that being able to unpick it with a skilled therapist would really help me. I think with therapy it's the same as medication, there isn't one solution that fits everyone, because we all have different triggers, causes, beliefs and responses that contribute to our anxiety.

Fishmanpa
06-01-14, 20:18
I want to add that there's a difference between being "cured" and being "healed". Being "cured" means the total absence of symptoms or ill effects from the illness. Being "healed" means you no longer suffer the symptoms but the disease can rear it's head again and there are scars from your ordeal.

Like my cancer, one is never truly "cured" of anxiety. There are scars of your battles even though they may not be visible to the naked eye like mine are. Sure, you can keep the dragon/beast at bay, but he can return at any time and/or when you least expect it. It's by following the advice and care of a doctor or professional that enables you to be healed and live your life in a qualitative and productive way. Seek to be "healed", otherwise you may be setting the bar too high and setting yourself up for disappointment.

Positive thoughts

rebeccad
06-01-14, 20:21
I deffo agree with the exercise bit I recently joined a ladies boxing class and have never felt better I do have minor blips especially over Xmas whilst the gyms been closed it raises your self esteem and then you don't feel the need for constant reassurance :-) x

Danuella
06-01-14, 20:23
This is VERY interesting!! I discovered back in August that I've got lots of vitamin/mineral defencies,at about the same time my anxiety started in over drive,I honestly hAdnt put the 2 together until this post!!....interesting....

cattia
06-01-14, 21:45
I want to add that there's a difference between being "cured" and being "healed". Being "cured" means the total absence of symptoms or ill effects from the illness. Being "healed" means you no longer suffer the symptoms but the disease can rear it's head again and there are scars from your ordeal.

Like my cancer, one is never truly "cured" of anxiety. There are scars of your battles even though they may not be visible to the naked eye like mine are. Sure, you can keep the dragon/beast at bay, but he can return at any time and/or when you least expect it. It's by following the advice and care of a doctor or professional that enables you to be healed and live your life in a qualitative and productive way. Seek to be "healed", otherwise you may be setting the bar too high and setting yourself up for disappointment.

Positive thoughts

Yes, that's s useful way to look at it. When my anxiety first hit really badly in my early twenties I had crippling depression that went with it. I was so ill I was paralyzed by it. However I got through it with a combination of medication, CBT, lots of self help and supportive people around me. Sometimes my anxiety gets really bad still and i do get depressed with it, but I know it will never be hit with that force by it again because I know how it works now so I know I can manage it better than I could back then.

TooMuchToLiveFor
07-01-14, 03:12
FMP~
Spot on! :yesyes: